1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by aus316, Jan 6, 2009.

1. aus316

aus316 Member

:gunsfiring: Okies i have a question on salt i have just a plain ole school buyers spreader and i ran outta salt and i borrowed some salt from my employers pit he runs all large v-box spreaders and i have mine and i normally use regular 80# bag rock salt when i went to use the pit salt tonight and it wouldnt flow thru the spreader i had to keep goin out to feed it into tha auger it was a pain in tush on this large lot is there a major difference between pit salt for v-boxes and regular bagged rock salt or is it a equipment faliure on my part:gunsfiring: ty in advane .Ride safe my brothers and sisters and may all u piles be monsters :gunsfiring:
  2. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Bagged salt is a coarse and "clean", like "clean" gravel. The bulk salt has more "fines" in it that are bridging up in your spreader. It is like a "minus" gravel. It would work if you put a vibrator on your spreader. And easy on the guns.lol
  3. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Could also be that the bulk salt has too much moisture.
  4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

If you look inside any professional or contractor grade tailgate spreader , youl'll see an "anti-bridger , agitator and or vibrator with a much larger exit .

Ther'ye usually a 2 stage system also with a horizonal auger screw .
    Your unit is for bagged material only..