1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by westbrooklawn, Nov 9, 2004.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

I know this will be a stupid question for all of the experienced operators on this site, but is there any difference between the rock salt you all use and the "water softener" typw rock salt that is readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.?

I added plowing to my landscape maintenance business last year, and did some applications of sand and also Lesco Ice Melt using a walk behind spreader. I am planning on adding a tailgate spreader this year and need to know the best type of salt to use for the money. Thanks!
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Water softener salt is more expensive, mainly due to it being more pure.

You know salt supplies are low when those places are out of that stuff.
  3. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Who sells plain rock salt in large bags (40 or 50 lb.)? I'm looking for a local supplier in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area. What is a reasonable price?
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

First of all, 40-50lb bags are SMALL, not LARGE bags. :rolleyes:

80's are what I'd call LARGE.

LESCO up my way sells salt by the pallet. Check a local Hardware store or a municipal supply house.
  5. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

TLS -

Thanks for the info......I will check with the local Lesco. I have bought Ice Melt from them before, but I don't think they stocked rock salt.

I had to laugh.....I guess 40-50 lb. bags of salt would be small.....I'm too used to dealing with fertilizer and grass seed!!
  6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe check with your lawn equipment dealer. The one that use sells rock salt 50 and 80 pounds bags. Just an option for you. %o pounders are easier to handle imo.