1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bigboss1977, Dec 8, 2011.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

So I have a new customer that wants me to salt his parking lot, but wants me to use water softener salt because he has heard its better on the asphalt....causing less damage. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm fairly new to the salting part of the business and have never heard this one.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Never heard of that at all. If it's less harmful, it's probably less potent so to speak. I know it does work, a guy I know used it a few times when salt was non existent here a few years ago.

3. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

He's crazy salt is salt plain and simple. Some salt seems to work better just because of the size of the crystal. But its all harmful in some way.

4. bigboss1977

from Utah

Yeah that's what I tried to tell him. Do people actually use water softener salt? I guess those that use the tailgate salters and the bagged salt products.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Most of the people that use water softener salt on their parking lots ride camels to work.

6. bigboss1977

from Utah

Lol I like that.

7. Dagwell

Dagwell Junior Member

Im in the water softening business and i can buy softening salt aka solar salt cheaper than halite or any other bagged rock salt. That is the reason i use it otherwise its the same crap. The bags are filled with the same machines in the same plant they just write a different name on the bag.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have used it on several occasions. Sometimes it's even a cheaper way to go. Just make sure your using crystals, and not the big oval shaped pieces. Those cause more problems with tripping on then they are worth.

9. bigboss1977

from Utah

I actually tried it for the first time last night when I couldn't get into my storage shed to get my supply of salt, because the lock was frozen.
    Seemed to work good and was a lot cheaper.

10. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

weve used it before as well when our regular supply ran out and our supplier was only able to get that in stock. Its the same stuff, doesnt do anything different.

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Is Water Softner Salt Less Hungry Than Regular Salt.......Because...We all know Regular Salt Eats the crap out of Concrete......:eek:......:nod:

12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

^^^^ <shrug>

Softener salt crystals work just fine, but tend to be a bit more coarse than typical bagged halite/rock salt. The potential for jamming if there, just be careful.

I say "The customer has a special request for a specific product. Agree and charge accordingly."

Duh.

13. MARK SUPPLY

MARK SUPPLY Member

Water Softener Salt is usually 99%+ pure so there is little maintanince and clean up needed to operate your water softener
    Rock Salt/ halite is usually an 97-98% pure product so it is not as clean (pure) as softening salt

14. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

"Just make sure your using crystals, and not the big oval shaped pieces. Those cause more problems with tripping on then they are worth." <<<<< Hahaha I got a good laugh out of that!!!!!!