1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt question - need your imput please

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ernest, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ernest

ernest Member

This bid for snow service is going to be determined on the salt bid.
    The lot is aprox. 40,000 sq. ft. I don't have a spreader on our trucks and don't want to get one because this is the only lot that is salted.
    I was quoted a price of 150.00 per time.Past history is 15 to 20 times salted a season.
    I would like to salt it with my walk behind spreader,but I don't know how to figure out how many 50 # bags it would take.YOUR HELP PLEASE. I'm not crazy to walk this am I ?
  2. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

The amount of salt spread per acre depends on the kind of salt used, temperature, and amount of snow/ice your trying to melt. Roughly a minimum of 800 lbs. of rock salt would be needed to treat that lot. That would be sixteen 50lb. bags. If you buy the salt per pallet early the cost per bag would be betwwen $3.50 and $4.50. 16 x4.50= $72.00 . How much to charge is up to you, but if your using a walk behind spreader, be prepared to work hard for your money. That's a lot of walking, going to the truck to get and pour bags etc. not fun at all.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

at the very least you can buy a small light weight spreader that doesnt require any wiring from snow ex. it plugs in the hitch and is on a remote. i think it hold 3 bags of salt at a time, and runs $600 bucks at home depot. i have one single lot that gets push spread because they want calcuim all the time. it only takes 6-8 baggs but after spreading it your out of breath, and if its 5 degrees outside it really sucks

also consider 72 dollas in material, plus storage, moving it around, loading it in a truck , tearing open the bags...who is gonna actually get up early and salt it? it needs to be done before others arrive on this lot, so the lot is safe. what happens if the person salting it twists his knee while jumping out of the truck on to an icy parking lot? now your paying a lot of money

i think this is a case of penny wise and dollar folish
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you are going to pay some cheap labor to do this yes I think your crazy and even then thats not much. You are saying that you will get $150 to salt this lot. Using rock salt 50lb bags 16 bags/application that comes out to $9.375/ bag applied. You will have to load & unload the spreader from the truck along with 16- 50lb bags to fill this thing and then walk it around the lot. Gonna beat you up physically You are better to pick up some extra lots or driveways your plow will make you more than these numbers with the salt
  5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

That would depend on how ambitious you are. It would be a lot of work to push spread. But spread 10 times and you could pay for a small electric spreader. 16-20 50# bags is a lot of salt to spread with a push spreader. Is it worth your time to make $75-78 ?
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Salting an acre with a walk behind is foolish. Figure how long it would take to do it that way, how may $30 drives can you do in that time?

For $150 bucks let someone else do it, just make sure you are getting at least 800# for that money.
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Buy a decent used tailgate salter off ebay and don't look back. Next year you may have another job or two that needs salt. There's lots of good deals out there, especially now that the season is ending. Just make sure it is cleaned and properly stored for the summer and get it mounted up and working well ahead of the snow. Or get yourself setup to use bulk salt and your cost drops in half again, albeit at the price of a more expensive spreader.

Lots of options, but a walk behind on a property that big, well, sucks. Especially if you have a month like our past January. Out of 31 days we spread salt (for 1.5" snow or less) 18 times. Mind you, my biceps haven't been this solid in years... :laughing: and thats just from loading the small salter (big for a tailgate unit).

Choice is yours but I always like to go with overkill so there is room to expand. I outgrew my ProFlo2 within the first two years but still use it alot.
  8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You have to spend money to make money... I'm sure you've of that one..... go out and try to get a few more lots for salting and buy yourself a good used tail gate or v box spreader... It will pay for itself in no time and you havn't beaten the heck out of yourself ... you'll thank all of us after your first salting......