1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt proof garage floor coating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMC99, Mar 23, 2010.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Anybody know of a product thats salt proof that can be painted or applied to a garage floor? Trucks get park inside and the salt is starting to take a toll on the concrete

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

how about a tarp instead

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

POR15,but it would be super expensive.

5. leon

leon Senior Member

floor etc.

The only real answer is an epoxy paint but your floor will have to be ground/burnished and then a new coat of pour rock or high strength cement pour and skim coated on it.

The less expensive option is heating the shop and washing the floor with VERY hot water then using an airport grade runway paint in several coats.

There are also a lot of good floor paints but the issue is one of wear and more wear on the paint.

leon

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I thought salt just accelerates the freeze thaw cycle, which accelrates bad concrete to have pox marks?

7. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

concrete "pox marks" which if we are on the same page is spalling, can be caused by cement that was not air entrained, this is usually about $70-90 extra per truckload and has to be requested in reality a full container of dishsoap to the load would do the job as well. All it does is allow air in the concrete to allow expansion with out popping the surface.

and check this out, I am going to do this to my garage, one of my clients did it to his garage and it was really cool! Let me know what you think...http://ucoatit.com/ucoatitcart/default.aspx

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I was looking at the same product for my garage. I even got the old lady interested in it.

9. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I used the Epoxy Coat system. You must PREPARE the floor correctly or it will fail. Two years have gone by with no problems.

10. tom5301

tom5301 Member

saltguard it is a sealer you put on the floor