1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt product safe for grass?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by The mayor, Jul 20, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Is there any salt/ice melt product that is less detramental to grass around sidewalks and such.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We ONLY use "Enviornmelt" we used quite a bit of it last year and no problems in spring and so far. It runs about 8.50 per 50lb bag.

4. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

The calcium is sold in this area. I will look into that. As for the enviromelt...where do you get that. I could not find it doing a search.

5. ALGS

ALGS Junior Member

I sub out my fert work to Natural Lawn, and they sell ice melt. It's 15 bucks per 50 pound bag but there website i believe has a wrong price. There stuff is really good and doesn't hurt anything.

6. Natures Edge

Natures Edge Junior Member

Environmelt

You can find the Environmelt or a sister product from a company called Reinders In Milwaukee. I think they have 8 locations throughout the State. If the don't carry the Environmelt, ask for the product Avalanche. They have it in 22lb, 50lb and supersacks. Probably about $9-10 a bag because the manufacturers freight is higher to get to Milwaukee for distribution.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  7. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Road Runner is about 98% sodium.

Avalanche and Environmelt are about the same.

They are all rock salt based with very little of anything else added to the mix.

Just FYI.