1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by swal123, Dec 25, 2008.

1. swal123

swal123 Junior Member

i use straight salt but this year it seems to get harder faster. is there anything i can mix with it to keep it flowing. also when i store it, so i don't have to smash it with my blade????

thanks steveussmileyflag
  2. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I have noticed the same thing with magic salt. It won't get rock hard but it is definitely isn't as free flowing as previous years
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

what is it flowing through? i assume your talking bulk? are you taping it? mine seems just fine -
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If the salt is clumping up, then you have moisture issues. It got wet someplace along the line. Keep your salt dry, and it flows like a dream.
    You can dry it out by spreading it on a dry paved surface, and letting the wind, and sun do there thing, for a day or 2. Dont spread it on dirt or hard packed pavement as it will just get worse.

If you attempt to treat salt that is already clumped and wet, you will see limited results.
    Salt is hydroscopic, so like a rock. it absorbs nothing. You can only COAT rock salt. So if it is already coated with water, any other product will not fair to well.
    Ice Ban, Magic -0, or even cal. chloride will help break it up for immediate use. But it will refreeze in the bin, once it sets for a few hours of freezing temps. Plus 50% of the product you attempt to apply will just flow down the drain.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

T-MAN said it all.......sounds like you guys got wet salt. But it may not really be anyones fault, if you keep it covered and have very humid weather thats really all it takes to make it clumpy......only real option is indoor storage on asphalt or cement floors with real weather tight doors.....a tarp isn't enough. But I don't know may guys who have that kind of storage, those who do are lucky.
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We were loaded with salt last week that was sitting on the parking lot at the salt store while it was snowing. The load had just been delivered so he was selling from that pile instead of pushing it in the bin. After about 2 hours half the load (about 2 yds) wa srock hard i mean chisel and hammer hard.
    I pulled the truck in the building for the night, raised the bed and turn the heat up to 60. By morning is was nice and flaky and dry

Hard salt sucks!

PS i have done my fair share of chisel and hammer with v boxes in the day