1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Problem Solution

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by anz27, Feb 20, 2014.

1. anz27

anz27 Member

Hey guys, just curious on all of your thoughts. With this years salt situation be so bad, have any of you considered building a salt storage shed? It could also be used for reserve but im just curious as to why more people dont build sheds. It seems like it works better than a tarp and is not that much more expensive...

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Where the heck else do you put a couple hundred tons of salt? You can have all the sheds you want, when no one has anything to put in it, it's just an empty shed.

Ideally you should probably be able to store at least 50% of your anticipated volume for the year, but I think most of us can't.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto.

If you want to insulate yourself, you would fill the bunker or shed on the high side of what you would use.

Say, for example, you average 40 tons of salt.

On a short year, you only use 20, on an big year, you use 60.

So you expect a big year, you order in 60 tons, but only use 20. Then you loose the accounts the next year that used all the excess salt. So now your out X amount of dollars on all the salt you invested in, and it now sits collecting moisture.

If your operation can absorb the cost of sitting on salt, then by all means go for it and build a bin, otherwise, it's a waste of time and money.

4. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

40' Storage Container is what i use.. A bad winter rent a 2nd one.. 60 tons it will hold..

Use it for top soil in the off season.. We put up a wall in it to separate soil and salt... It's always nice to have soil at the shop.

5. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

soil + salt = dirt + water = weeds

try your best to keep them far away from each other

fungi-good salt-bad

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he is growing mushrooms in the off, off season!

Haha.

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I's thinks salty soil won't grow chit - possibly a cheaper solution than Round Up?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wish I would have thought of this, say24 years ago when we built our first one.

As for storing 50% of my needs, I don't have the room--although I could make it I suppose--and I don't have the funds to purchase that much ahead of time.

I'd want at least 600 tons.

9. siteworkplus

from mass

Add in all the ecological protocols and protections and its not worth the risk...Which make us vulnerable to and dependent upon large suppliers and market fluctuations.

Times are a changing

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

DEQ guy gave me a visit a couple years ago due to a disgruntled employee that stated we were dumping pesticides and hydraulic oil into our shop drain which empties into a nearby creek.

The drain did empty into the creek, but we don't dump waste oil or pesticides down it. He said plug the drains or install a holding tank. I chose the holding tank. While he was here he looked at my salt building. Said it was good that it was covered as most guys don't. Asked if the floor was asphalt or concrete. It's asphalt. He said great. Nicest gov't employee I've met. Put the holding tank in, took some pictures and e-mailed him the pics and case closed. No fine, just the cost of the tank. And a crapload of stress.

11. siteworkplus

from mass

10 on the pucker meter I bet