1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sassygrasssnow, Jan 30, 2010.

1. sassygrasssnow

sassygrasssnow Member

which state has the best ton price on bulk salt I am in michigan and we are around $77.00 a ton.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

3. sassygrasssnow

sassygrasssnow Member

salt

yea my price was shipped. i was just wondering what other states were paying

4. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

$82/ton delievered here

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

About $108/ton for the untreated at the "local" yard, no minimum. Drive another 30 miles, $78/ton for untreated, 3 ton minimum.

Another local dealer is carrying Magic Salt for $135/yard. I've bought a couple loads of winter sand from them, the measure has been very good. Will probably by a load of Magic from them soon.

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Most terminals are 10 ton pickup, and you have to have an existing quote to pull it. Yards that do per ton are generally expensive ($100+/ton), but still much cheaper than bagged ($160/ton @ $4/bag).

Around here, we (my company) are averaging a little under $80 delivered plus tax, although I've heard a lot of stories of $95 + tax, which IMO is just straight greedy unless it's 50+ miles away. I have arranged to let customer pick up with their own trucks (10 ton+) from the terminals, which is typically around $70 + tax. $59 + tax seems great, but I would think MI would have great prices, as well as OH, seeing as how there are mines there. That's significantly below the material cost out here.

I've heard the local Magic distributor is getting $150/ton, which is just criminal--especially when you read what Magic claims it should cost, but it's a captive market, so...

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Here in southern CT 68.95 $ ton p/u Magic salt 99.00$ p/u Sand/salt mix 39.95 $ p/u

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do they tell you what the mix is on the winter sand? That's more than I pay.....

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't know the sand/salt mix ratio. I use mostly straight salt. I mix my own sand/ salt . cost me about 25.00$ a
    yard plus my time. The salt i get is really different from the pure white salt i used to get from International.It's brought in from chile and has honey/tan color. It helps you to see it as you're spreading. But the residue is white and it's 13.00$
    cheaper.

10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

My first 100 ton ( that I buy from the devil ) costs me 49.00/ton, picked-up, I kind of feel dirty posting this

11. Westhardt Corp.

You should.

:D

12. jfd774

jfd774 Junior Member

Here in Southern Indiana we are paying $100 a ton + tax for regular salt....magic salt is $235 a ton...If it stays that expensive I will never know if magic salt works better than regular salt!!! Why is it so expensive...for those who have used it does it work?

13. Westhardt Corp.

14. Rossland&seal

Rossland&seal Junior Member

Dognapper, Where in Maine are you getting your Magic? We have used magic for 4 years and just switched to straight salt, because we didn't't notice a big difference.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I haven't used any Magic yet. I don't do any straight salt here. Farley & Son in Rockport is the local guy. They will deliver treated salt for you, or treat your pile.

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

anyone know how much a yard weights, around here im paying 144 a yard.

17. LTLANDSCAPING

LTLANDSCAPING Member

A yard of road salt weighs 1.33 tons. A couple of guys in the waterbury area are selling straight salt at $110/yard loaded in your sander. Usually sand/salt mix is 4 parts sand 1 part salt. Snocommander - is that the price for magic salt?

18. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

no thats straight salt loaded in my sander at southbury stone and supply.

19. LTLANDSCAPING

LTLANDSCAPING Member

They quoted me once for magic salt @ $200/yard. SLS behind home depot in waterbury is $110 and Waterbury Contractors Supply on North Main Street is $90 but he isnt always there during a snow storm.

20. Hundreddollarbi

Hundreddollarbi Junior Member
    from Iowa

Iowa salt

In Iowa the local guy wants $120/ton with a 25 ton min. its salt and calcium mix. So I mostly use straight sand, it works surprisingly well. Its mostly for traction but it will melt it somehow..