1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by readysnowplow, Dec 10, 2009.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

I am losing on my all inclusive price for plowing and salt. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to charge for salt? (per bag, or pound etc?) I want to give a price that would allow me to cover my price for having to apply more salt at a location to break up lots where the ice has not melted after my 1st application. how do you guys usually do it?
  2. wiccantoy

wiccantoy Junior Member

well the cheaper price around me is 9 dollars per 50 lb bag. i can get it a fwe bucks cheaper through the firecompany i run with, but depends alot on need to reaply
  3. fci

fci Senior Member

If you have a bulk salt spreader you can cut your product cost way down. If you have alot of sites it will pay for it self in no time. Bulk salt is about half the price of bagged salt. I would rather salt then plow.

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

first of all greetings from a Michigan firefighter, second of all.... are you speaking of rock salt or an ice melter? I pay 5.50 per 80 lb bag of rock salt.... home depot and lowes charge around $7 per 50 bag....
  5. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

I charge 50.00 a bag, I buy it and spread it. That is for sidewalks and we salt or salt/sand in bulk. Everyone bitches about straight salt price and ***** about salt/sand mess.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Are you kiding me? That better be one big bag.
  7. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I charge about $50-60 a month to include salt on my residential driveways and sidewalks.
  8. Bestbuy143

Bestbuy143 Junior Member
    from ohio

I'm looking to start plowing for next year commercial and don't know price on salting. what do i need to know first. one bag of rock salt covers what and what do i charge for spreading the salt per hour or bag in ohio
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I dont believe you charge $50 for a 50lb bag of rock salt applied. I want to see the contract that states your application price. I call BULL 5h1t on that post.:laughing:
  10. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I would prefer to charge by the pound. And then generally I will explain to them during my conversation with them regarding the bid that usually it will be in the range of xlbs and xlbs giving them a standard application and a heavy application rate. Now I use bulk so price is considerably lower but thats my method
  11. Deco

Deco Senior Member

$25. per bag spread. get it done
  12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hey I charge a minimum for drive ways $25-30 Half a bag 40lbs or $4 and my half hour labour (travelling) $20-25..... My large commercial lots gets me cost of salt plus 30% and 1-1.5 hours at $75 /hr..... I also always due salting completely separtate from plowing, and is never included....
  13. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

You call bulls h i t on my salt pricing? Like I give a crap what you call. That isnt for bulk. We have a bucket with a lid at all our residential properties, we use it for walks and steps/stoops. Everytime we empty the bucket I charge 50.00. A bucket will last 8-10 times, so if you break it down and figure buying it, bucketing, spreading, reloading, 50 bucks isnt crap, I have to pay payroll insurance and make a profit. So keep doing it for free if you want, must not understand buisiness or you are a one man band?
  14. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Alright well now i can somewhat agree with your pricing on that, I still feel its a tad high for me, but you know your costs. Is it a 50 or 80# bag at these sites and is it rock or ice melter? I know around here were at like 8-12$ a bag for ice melter so thats not to bad.
  15. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Only a couple of us salting around here, one of the guys is getting $0.60lb spread. For me thats way too high given my cost as I pick it up from the salt mine that is near me so I charge $15.00 per 50lb spread. I know not crap compared to some but it helps pay the bills. I up sell the the hell out of the salt and on a given night I put down 800lbs.
  16. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

it's a little late now no???? contracts are already signed... shoulda done more research and not low balled before u signed....
  17. We charge by the ton for our parking lot accounts. Residential is $35 per application, commercial is $200 per ton...
  18. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

.60/lb would never go in the areas I plow but not to say they don't everywhere else. i guess it depends on where you are. I charge .20-.30/lb and it works out okay for me.
  19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

20. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

Some places I can get away charging .25/lb, some places, the only way I can get the bid, is if I bid the salt at .8/lb.
    More the merrier