1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Leisure Time LC, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

I have an account that is going to require about 15 tons of salt applied per application and not sure on what to charge?

Also how much do I charge per ton???

Thanks

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I personelly charge about 3 times what I paid for a ton of salt. I pay $32 a ton and charge my customers $95 a ton.

3. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

thanks for the info

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Umm Should be like $250 and up for bulk per ton.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is that from a depot or do you buy it in bulk. We use around 2000 metric ton a year and we buy direct and the best price is around $63. If you buy over 5000 tons you get another $1 off. I wish I could buy salt at your price!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not at a place that takes 15t.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

REALY hmm I must doing something wrong the as we charge a site that used 40-50 tons per application more than that plus hour rate of the truck. :D payup

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How many saltings do you average in a year?

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No I guess I must be doing something wrong. If you can buy 50t of salt for $1600 and sell it for $12500 plus get an hourly rate for the truck, then good job!!

10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I'm guessing in md there might not be so much competition as the snowier states. I know I'm not getting 250 a ton. Every now and then maybe close to that on a very good paying load, truck included. Cost last year was 60-75 a ton depending on, well, I'm not sure what but it fluctuated a bit. Also, that is for bulk, I don't spread bagged salt. If it doesn't load with a loader I don't need to spread it.

11. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

That's buying in bulk. I usually pick up around 5 tons at a time.

12. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

salt prices

I am paying $56.75 per ton for Cargill's Clearlane. We only do large commercial property's and they are willing to pay a premium to get the job done. My largest property takes at least 80 tons and must be done in 60 minutes, if not the they don,t pay. They pay over $300.00 per ton and think it's a bargain. This is the only place that I have done that said " Your not charging enough for salt" and raised the prices to well over $300.00 per ton. They did do the work in house but it took them for ever using a one ton truck. They stopped doing this when a pregnant lady fell. This property even has us set on there lot if the weather service is calling for snow, even a dusting. Now I have trucks setting on there lots for up to eight hours before the snow is expected collecting $100.00 per hour per truck waiting for it to start.

13. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Those are the types of jobs you dream of. I have yet to find one that good.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So how many trucks does it take to put 80t on in an hour?

15. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

Depends on what time of the day 3-5 trucks.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What size lot would require 80 tons? How thick do you put it down,1000 lbs. per acre?

If I had that contract I wouldn't need any otherspayup

17. mscincbus

mscincbus Junior Member

Charging for Salt

I charge .20/lb for all salt applied.

18. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Salt pricing is regional just like anything else. Guys in Indy or southern New England can charge higher rates do to the fact they have a 'limited" number of events per season.
    $250-$300 a ton is on the high end of the salt pricing spectrum.Snow belt regions usually pay way less then those prices. These guys that mention charging these rates also dont mention it took many years and alot of hard work to get to that pricing schedule.Wallmart in any part of the country wont pay 250 a ton, thats a fact. Your not going to sell salt at those rates to Mom and Pops grocery store either.
    Usually large loads of bulk salt comes at a reduced rate per ton.
    How ever you can achieve pricing of around those rates when applying bulk on smaller sites.
    I charge for salt what I charge to plow a lot for a 1-3" storm.So if you get 100 to plow, charge the same for salt. When you can handle 3 or 4 sites with a ton you can get pricing around the rates these guys speak of or more.
    Per ton pricing is usually not a science either, and leads to over application or cheating on the true amount of the application to raise the actual per ton price.
    Ask anyone if they have a scale in there V-box to tell the true amount of the application and they will say no. Also very wet salt can weigh up to 50% more then dry, so the ol 2 scoops equals a ton benefits who ?