1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Hi all!, back from lawnsite!
    here's a question for you all, I have a apartment complex for plowing / salting, and this year I asked them if I could store salt on site and if they would let me I would give them a slight discount 5%, do any of you do this also or not?

and also, say salt was $50.00 a ton what would you charge per ton applied?? , I am thinking $200-$350

Thanx , Big Nate
  2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

That price per ton sounds high from what I have heard others charge for applying bulk salt.

If you are using bagged, you might not be able to be competitive with a guy who can carry 4 or 5 tons of salt that he paid 1/3 the price you pay per ton.

If you are talking bulk, I'd start at the $120-$150/ton range For multi acre lots. Maybe others with more experience will feel differently.
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

In my experience, it has been more profitable to charge for salt per application, rather than per ton. Sometimes a customer might ask you how much per ton, but in actuality all they really want to know is how much it is going to cost them to get their property salted. They ask how much per ton, because they want to compare that price to other bids they've gotten. I have heard of people making upwards of $400 per ton, applied, using the per app pricing.

4. ddm

ddm Member

SnoJob's pricing seems a little closer to reality, but your market may vary from that. I like Chuck's advice of the per application rate over per ton or lb. pricing. In my area I have some lots on each system. Usually the per lb. pricing goes to places which are bid and for them that is the easiest way to compare bids. I think nothing can be further from the truth however. How much salt is put down then I feel is often directly proportional to how much money is needed. I've seen some competitors ashphalt lots look like a powdered sugar donut instead of clean & black. If you bill per application you usually know about how much you need to put on to adequately do the job. At the end of the season I think you would come out a little ahead per ton overall this way.
    But per ton is always safe, just don't keep spreading it if it's not needed; it makes us all look bad in the end.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I get between 250-450 per yard of magic salt applied.I charge by the job,not by amount,Sometimes i can get away thinner than others,after doing it a while you know when you can thin it out,and when to lay it on heavy.I make more $$ on ice control than plowing per hr.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Look at the other post on sand pricing and you will see that I too make more money on spreading then plowing. In the long run you save fuel, wear on your truck and have more efficient man-hours. Also as John said my drivers and myself know the areas that need a heavy application of material and those that just need a thin layer to keep from refreezing. Being efficient is key in this business.