1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Oct 23, 2005.

1. i have a 800# tailgate spreader and was wondering how you figure out how much to charge for salting.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I get $20.00 per 50 lbs.
  3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

my minimum is $75, Figure you got cost of material and the spreader cost with gas, and your time, so on. To fill my tailgate spreader which is about the same size as your it would cost me about $50, and i would charge $150 or more.
  4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Getting between .29 and .36 cents per pound on accounts that pay per pound.
    JTS, where are you getting salt from?
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I pay less then .03 per pound and go through 25,000lbs. per night. I could make some serious money where you guys are. LOL

Keep up the good work, you guys are doing something right!
  6. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i'm high for my area at .18 per pound. most guys around here charge 14-15
  7. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Our area seems to average .30-.40/pound but I have heard of some guys getting .40-.50 too. I don't know how they do it. This is for rock salt. Obviously calcium is more. I don't know if I could do it for .14-.15/pound. There is a lot of wear and tear in the form of rust, more fuel consumption, vehicle load, and those spreader motors aren't cheap and don't last forever. Lets not forget about buying the material up front and the occasional no-payer. There is also a lot of physical wear on the body if you use bags. If you use bulk there is the cost of a loader, and more expensive spreader. Just a few things to think about. I know in the end you can only charge what the local market will allow.
  8. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

hicks we need to get together sometime, my dad lives like 20 minutes from you. i really can't understand the pricing differences in our areas. we are about the same on plowing but if i charged that for salting, i would never get away with it. areas are much the same. one small city and a lot of rural around it. we both get about the same amount of snow, etc.