1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CNYScapes, Sep 22, 2003.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I have always used a tailgate salter and charged about $11-$12 per bag to spread it. This year I am thinking about buying a bulk salter. What are the going rates for bulk salt? I already have a bobcat to load the salt and the place to put it.

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

If you get larger lots, you may have to lower your price to be competitive, but for the lots similar to those you were charging $11-$12/bag spread, charge the same and put the difference back into your business rather than giving it back to the customer.

I have personally heard of per ton pricing ranging from $100-$250 per ton for bulk material. At $12/ 50# bag, that is $480 per ton. As you can see, the smaller customers are already paying quite a bit more per ton, although they will not use as much material as the larger lots. If you want the larger lots, you will have to find out what your market bears... but I would say somewhere in the middle of those two numbers would be a reasonable place to start. It seems you would have to put down a lot of material at $100/ton to make any money.

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Thanks sno job, Im currently waiting for a price quote from cargill salt on a price per ton for the salt, but a friend told me he pays $57 per ton. Like you said it looks like I would have to charge at least $100 per ton on top of that to make it worth while to purchase the big salter.

4. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

we charge $175.00 / ton applied, thats about average in these parts.

5. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I've heard the #175/ton around here too, though I've never used bulk salt... I've also heard its standard practice to double the tonage in billing... So that becomes 350/ton.
    I just bid 995/application for salting a 420 space retail parking facility... I don't know how many acres that is so I just gave it my best guess based on what I've read here and heard from others...
    All feedback and suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.

6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

"I've heard the #175/ton around here too, though I've never used bulk salt... I've also heard its standard practice to double the tonage in billing... So that becomes 350/ton."

Your pricing sounds in line with what I have heard. However, don't get the impression that it is "standard practice" in this industry to screw our customers. There are probably 3 honest contractors for every scumbag that cheats their customer every chance they get. Even if the numbers were skewed the other way, which group would you be more proud to say you are a part of?

I know which group I believe the majority of my fellow SIMA members belong to....

7. Greenscape4u.co

I get the 175/ ton from the bulk cost of $90.00 / ton plus labor to apply. When you think about it your driving a rig outfitted at about 50,000.00 plus your driver and all the hidden cost hehind what we do ie. (shop rent , insurance, fuel, payments ... ) Some customers balk at salting the lots thinking we're just trying to make an extra buck but in the 16 years I've been doing this none of my customers have had "slip and fall" lawsuits to deal with. I tell all my new clients that we salt after each plowing , freezing rain and run off situations and can expect to pay approximately 1.5 times the amount per month that they pay for snow clearing.

I'm curious guys , what do each of you pay for your bulk salt and how do you store it so it stays dry ?

8. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Greenscape, when you say 1.5 x plowing, do you mean one for plowing, .5 for sanding, or price of plowing PLUS 1.5 of that again for sanding?
    hope that came out right:rolleyes:

9. Greenscape4u.co

Hi EZ ,

what I meant was , let say you charge 500.00 / month for your plowing services for the local hardware store and they asked what it would cost for salting and they wanted to pay the same amount every month all I do is tell them it would be about 1.5 x their plowing amount. So Mr. Jones at the "Autozone" could expect to pay $500.00 X 1.5 = $750.00 / month. For us up here we're looking at about 30 times a season we plow , factor in freezing rain and run off it adds up. The ones that don't salt I don't do , that simple. It'd not worth the lawsuit you can get dragged into !

Aurie

10. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

I try to get around $300-400 per ton of salt spread.
    i know its a bit higher but i'm in south east NY and snow removal in general tend to be a bit higher.
    Last year alone we did only about 6-8 salting ONLY events