1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt pricing, need help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by indianaplowboy, Feb 10, 2002.

1. indianaplowboy

indianaplowboy Junior Member

Justing looking for a little help from you guys to determine pricing for salt applications. Not that I will probably be salting any time soon with the temps. running in the 50's right now in NE IN. This is the 1st yr. for us (you can laugh because at this point I sure am) and have some accounts that want it for next year, not exactly sure how to charge. Most lots are small bank lots & small plaza 4-5 retailers. Any feedback would sure be appreciated.

Praying the groundhog knows what he's talking about because the weather people don't w/ 3.22 inches so far.

Thanks, Jimbo

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I cant offer much,but I price all salting by the job,I do not weigh the salt,although i know about how much each lot takes.I use bulk salt,I dont not charge by the ton.Just per application per site,like plowing.If a parking lot costs 100 to plow,tyically,Ill charge 60-75 to salt that same lot,with magic treated salt.With treated salt,and a small 1 yard spreader,i can go pretty far on just a yard,you can really lay it down thin,and get results when its treated with Magic.I hope this helps a little.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am the same as John. I have found that like plowing prices vary for spreading material. I would contact some other contractors and see if you can get an idea of prices. Charging by application is easier then charging by the material IMO.

4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Jimbo

I'm new to salting this year but we figured how many # of salt it would take to cover the area & charge salt plus $10.00 per bag to apply. I got a steel on my spreader it was used only once & he decided he didn't like lifting the salt bags (retired -older man but lots of money & didn't care what he got for it). :D I fab a new mount & added the plastic deflector not bad all for less than 500.

View attachment salter.jpg

5. indianaplowboy

Thanks for the replies. Hey ohiosnow I'd sure like to run across the deal you did for $500, sounds like the deal of the century.

6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Indianaplowboy

Yea, I thought at first it might be HOT:eek: but the guy showed me the original receipt & I called the Dealer & he had just bought it 2 -weeks before for $1,189.00 installed!

7. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Bulk salt $160.00 per ton applied minimum 1 ton. Bagged salt is $24.00 per 50# bag applied 6 bag minimum

8. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

You can purchase that salter from Northern tool for $850.00. Just if anybody wanted to purchase one.

9. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Landman

actually it cost $899.99 plus shipping ($100.00 for me) in their 2001 fall catalog.:) & I fabricated a hitch mount for mine & used their tailgate angle to mount it lower. I like this style alot better than the tall ones & with the motor inside the hopper not like the myer style hanging down underneath. I just replaced to motors on Myer spreaders for a friend what a pain compared to this style. IMO. :)

10. indianaplowboy

Ohiosnow, Ive heard some of the guys around here saying they have trouble with the motor hanging down to. They tell me the motor is smacking into the curb and causing a lot of damage coming out of driveways and some parking lots. But the winter is looking I dont think Ill have to run out and buy one right now. But I will have one before next year. I have some accounts that want me to salt next year. I do like the ideal of having the motor inside. Thanks, :)