1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SpeedyGreenInc, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SpeedyGreenInc

SpeedyGreenInc Junior Member

What are you guys getting quoted on for salt prices this year?

2. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

not sure yet they havent made prices yet for this coming season

3. I think you will see a minimum increase of 40%. More depending on the quantities available. NY bid list is up 35% for white salt. Some other threads are saying in the midwest prices could be 3x last years cost. We will see. I will be getting my prices next week.

4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

You should ask if you can get any salt before you ask the prices. Save yourself the time.

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

That is what I am going to do on Wednesday myself. I can't believe they are already talking about shortages. That is just plain bs imo.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

if you havent got youre salt yet.....GET OFF YOURE A$$ and get it locked in!

i have got quoted $120 and i am glad to get it....i took all they could give me witch aint alot but i am going to concentrate on liquid this year to help with the problem.

PJ

7. SpeedyGreenInc

SpeedyGreenInc Junior Member

I can get atleast 300 tons so far for 65 a ton delivered to my door. Just wondering what others were paying.

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

$98 a ton delivered was the quote I got!

9. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Salt, salt everywhere but not a ton for me!!

There are MOUNTAINS, I mean millions of tons (and I'm not exaggerating) of salt at the port here in Milwaukee, more than I have ever seen before. I have been calling NASC, Cargill, and Morton since April and have been told the same thing over and over. "Municipal contracts are not set yet, so prices are not set. We may not have any salt for you anyway, but call back around August 1st."

Now NASC says they are not selling to ANY contractors because the muni's have ordered twice the usual amounts of salt and they get first dibs on it. Morton and Cargill STILL wont give pricing out and are saying they may be in the same situation as NASC as far as selling to contractors.

Driving by those mountains of salt everyday knowing I can't have any of it will probably drive me crazy this winter! :angry:

10. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

If I even start to ask around now, I dont think anyone will have pricing yet.

11. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

i Got My Prices $120 A Ton For Treated And $90 For Regular Thats Up $30 A Ton Across The Board From Last Year .......calcium By The Pallet $18.75 A Bag X 48 Bags So $900 Also Up $120 From Last Year And These Prices Are Good Til Oct. 1st From My Supplier:(

12. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I was told $98/ton picked up, but "don't quote us on that"......

I'm going to have a clause in my contracts this year allowing me to use sand/salt mix if necessary w/free cleanup in the spring.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Double + over last year. If you can get it.

14. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i just pre-bought 3 pallet's of "road runner" melter from FASTENALL for $12.40 per 50# bag and they even had one pallet in stock

PJ

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not hearing double but they won't give me an exact price either. I just hope I can get enough. I'm adding to the end of our one Coverall, for an additional 150 ton of storage, so that will help. Let's hope for a light Dec or we'll be screwed for the hole winter.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Should have clarified, double plus for around me. In writing. :mad:

And yes, but supposedly it doesn't sound like it.

17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I ordered 6 pallets of bagged rock (50#) and got it at a price of $3.30/bag. 80# bags are about $4. I know a lot of you need to use bulk because you use so much but for anyone who can get by with using bagged I thought these prices were very fair.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Could be for us too, when I see it in writing. So I'll probably be crying with you.:cry:

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Camden....where did you get it? I tried to order pallets from Mills Fleet farm but was told we are not getting any till Nov. and No prices yet either.

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic