1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GeoffD, Aug 17, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

For this season the current price is set a $ 42.10 a ton. However the prices could rise during the season.

So my price is 42.10 a ton picked up in bangor or portland whatever location is want to go to.

Or pay some extra money for deliverly.

Geoff

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

42.00 here....for some reason i was thinking last year i got it for 38.00... so it is already going up for me

3. pcs

pcs Senior Member

This will be my first year to salt. I don't know how much it's going to cost me per ton but could you give me a idea of how much to charge to spread it?

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I was warned to expect $72 dollar salt going into the season with a probable increase in mid season again.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Alan 72 a ton? I thought I was at the end of the supply line.

I Morton salt in portland is selling at 39 a ton or so I have heard. However last year they ran out, and took forever to get more in, and were verry rude to customers. I guess someone ordered 5 tri axel trailer dumps, and the office told the guy, that they would put him on the list and call him when they had salt, and hung up.

Geoff

6. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Salt prices will jump up atleast 5.00 to 10.00 dollars a ton this year in our area. If diesel prices go through the roof again that will also just ad to the increase and frustration of high salt prices.
    John Parker

7. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

Up here I was just given a price of $58 a ton delivered. Thats Canadian tho. It works out to around $37 US.
    Pat

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I was quoted today 65.75 rate locked for the season for treated salt from intl.
    Dino

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Wow Dino! I got a locked price almost $15 cheaper then that. I wish I could lock in my fuel prices. I should get my first load of sand delivered to my yard next week. Time to really start getting ready for the winter.

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Remmber that is for a coated salt, regular salt is
    47.50 aton.
    Dino

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My mistake. That sounds more in line with my prices.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

For those of us who buy some in bags it went down around here it's 91.60 a pallet of 50's (40 bags) bulk is hovering around $40-$50 a ton u pick up.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I usually do buy a pallet of bagged also. This is kept inside at some businesses to allow for spot spreading. I find that the easier I make it on businesses the less calls I get to handle a small ice patch caused by melting or runoff. A pallet is usually enough for the year.