1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Prices

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 45kilo, Jan 24, 2012.

1. 45kilo

45kilo Junior Member

In the past we have always used a sub for our salting, but starting to wonder. Looking at purchasing a spreader of our own but not sure if it is worth it. Wondring if others sub this service and what you pay to have it done. Also looking for what the avrerage cost is per ton for bulk salt. Already have a place to store it, equipment to load it, and a truck to put the spreader on. Just need a spreader.
  2. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

While I don't use bulk salt, I can tell you that my supplier just told me that salt is going to go up about $12 to 18 per ton at the beginning of Feb.? I buy it in bags, as I have no storage facility. If you are going to use tail gate spreaders, stay far away from bulk, as it will jam most tail gate units and just ruin your day.

The average price of bulk salt will not do you a lot of good IMHO, as it seems as though the prices are all over the place. If it were me?, I would base my calculations upon the best price you can get in your area for bulk Vs bagged. I can get a full skid of bagged for $200 (2450 pds). From what I have read, that is less than some pay for bulk? Good luck with what ever you do! :)