1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt prices this season

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FISHERBOY, Jul 7, 2008.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Has anyone got any idea on how much salt is going to be this season, i already hav one price its $89.00 a ton delivered.:eek:
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How much at a time? I can't see salt prices going up anymore then 10-15% at most, but I could be wrong.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have not heard yet.... I would assume 10% to 12 % for fuel costs.....but with last yrs almost $90 per ton in the middle of the shortage , who knows
  4. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I hope that's all it's going to be this year! I paid that at the yard at the beginning of last season!
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i was around $50 till the shortage
  6. sherwin

sherwin Member

We hit almost $120/ton by the end of Feb. last year. Talked to our supplier last week and he expects around $70/ ton this season, which is what we started at last year.
  7. witty

witty Junior Member

i went to the agway the other day where i purchase my salt from. cashier there said that a 50lbs of bagged salt just went up to $5.10 per bag, compared to last year where it was $4.25 perbag. he said by the time september-october rolls around, it may even got a little higher. he wanst sure what bulk salt was going for but you know that the price on that will be jacked up too..................this is crazy.
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a big jump. My supplier said .10-.15 cent jump on bags. No numbers on bulk, end of july all city and state contracts are done and she can give me pricing. Last year started at 52 a ton till the end of Jan. My last 24 ton cost 160 a ton trucked in from Ohio.
  9. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

I actually buy salt by the 50LB bag, by the pallet, and I get it from my employer who marks it up 10% over cost (employee discount).

I bought a pallet of 50LB bags last year and stuck them in my garage.

After taxes I did pay $7 a bag, so about $280 a ton. Which is expensive. But it was the blue stuff you can see after you throw it down, and it worked really well.

After the salt shortage, I had people coming to my house to buy salt at $14-$20 a bag. And prolly made more on salt than I did on plowing.
  10. Snowgeek

Snowgeek Junior Member

I'm hearing prices from 110/ton and up
  11. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I just about shat myself. morton replied to day its gonna cost me 104.83 a ton this year for regular salt!!! and they will only give me 125 tons. last year it was 56.50. cargill said none for you and us salt said it is gonna be market rates what ever that means. anyone in mpls have an in for a better deal? I need about 300-400 tons this season.
  12. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I received a estimate of $115 a ton in West Michigan last week.

They also said they expect a shortage again.
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Damn! I just wish our local supplier would give us a price! I called today and got the same old story......we dont know yet and wont know probably til' late October. LATE OCTOBER what the hell how can we give a bid with prices all over the place.:angry::angry:
  14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

just bought 100 ton of dry salt(straight out of the ground), for mid $50's and another $50 for delivery......bought 150 #50 bags of Quick Thaw for $8.75 with free delivery.......
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Where does the other salt come from?:D
  16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

From the Ocean. Where did you think!
  17. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Its always neat to remember that the salt you're buying is 400 million years old.

Maybe a lot older than that depending on how long it was soluable before the ocean that was here dried up.

But thats what the salt is. Ancient dry salt flats from oceans long gone. Just happens to be a half mile underground now.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  18. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i just ment that is was dry because it was freshly mined....other stuff i have gotten in the past had been rained on because it had come from a outside pile...
  19. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

We've been seeing prices around 130-150 a ton delivered. Cargill and Morton won't sell to contractors. Not sure where we are getting our salt from yet, I'm working on that this week calling everyone.
  20. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok so try this

buy the coean ft property , pump in the seawater

filter the salt from the water... put the water in our liquid sprayers, create ice on the properties, then you can salt it away , with the filtered salt

and you can advertise that its all natural:D