1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt prices in Minn.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Deershack, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Anyone had any luck in getting bulk prices for salt. I've only been able to get one at 75.50 p/ton and then only fixed at that price if under contract. Most suppliers say they wont quote prices until after the middle of Sept. Seems they are waiting to see how high the pre-season prices can be pushed.

2. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

The local dealer doesn't even want to act like they have any salt yet! I guess they are not concerned with a smaller company like mine. They won't take my order, and I imagine it will be the same again this year, unless you are on the special list!
    Cargill will take orders, but only 20 tons at a time, and only if you prepay and can take delivery of 10 tons or more at a time... check with them it was about 80 a ton a month or more ago...

3. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

NLS1 I hear you. I'm small also. Can't take 10 T at a time with a 5 yd box.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I just prepaid 80 ton, $4000

5. deicepro

deershack, where you located? I might be able to help.

6. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I'm in St.Paul

7. deicepro

i'm 40 min. west of you, you could maybe pick some up under my account in burnsville, how much can you pick up at a time? how much you need for the season?

8. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Thanks for your offer. I'm just getting started in sand/salt. I have one possible account at this time which will need about 3 yds p/run. My truck has a 5 yd box so I'm guessing only about 5 T at a time. At this time I have no idea of how much I might need for the season. Don't you just hate working with newbees. I really appreciate your offer.

9. deicepro

Actually the more i think about it, you can buy from US Salt in burnsville on Black Dog Road, 10 miles south of 494 on 35w south their number is 952-890-8448, they will sell and load any size truck, call early

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I just talked to US a couple days ago, they told me same pricing as last year expected, they're not expecting any increases. This was the office help, not "you're wasting my time" Tom. :dizzy: My bagged supplier also said same pricing as last year...

Deershack, do you have a means of storage or loading? There are very few suppliers around, so guys that dont have a means to store and load their own are at the mercy of the supplier's hours, some of which claim to be open "during storms", as is the case with US. For the record, I never load from them in a storm, so I cant vouch to their reliability. I've spoken with a couple other locals in your situation, and they all make the trek to US as needed. Hedberg would have been another option, but they quit carrying straight salt last year, and didn't restock after about mid-february when they ran out... :mad: Last option would be to team up with another larger contractor who can load during a storm, and pay them for your salt from their supply.

deicepro, whereabouts are you at. I'm in the crystal/new hope/golden valley/plymouth area. :waving:

11. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Wizardsr: I'm on the E.side of St.Paul. My equipment is stored in Maplewood and they wont allow salt to be stored in the lot I rent from. Since I rent, I can't put up any kind of structure that will meet with their approval at a cost I can afford either for the building or the additional rent.If I could store it on site, I have a 1845c to load with.Hedberg's is close to me but as you say they quit supplying salt. Wish I knew of someone who I could buy from. One of my biggest worries is a storm that hits on a Fri night and by midnight I've gone through my 5 yd box capicity and can't get anymore till Mon morning.

As I said earler, I talked to US and they quoted 78.50 p/t picked up. Don't know what you were paying a year ago. No one else I have contacted will give any quotes, even for sand/salt until mid Sept. Kind of hard to line up contracts without pricing. Burnsville is a way to go to get loaded but I may have to swallow the drive time just to get product.

12. wizardsr

I was quoted 80, so you're right about where I was quoted. I hate to say it, but without a means for storage and loading, you're at their mercy, or try to develop a relationship with another local contractor.

I use mostly bags, and I average 60-80 bags (3000-4000lbs) a storm, more in an ice storm. Most of my spreading is done with the buzz box, which opens and dumps the bags for me, so I can pretty closely keep up with someone running bulk in terms of efficiency (not including the drive time to go get a load of bulk)... I keep bags at a couple satellite locations, so I have it within 5 minutes for loading. The buzz box allows bulk as well, which I use if I'm anticipating a big salt event, and can get it ahead of time. I have a few smaller lots that get spread using a tailgate spreader on another truck run by employees.

I was up against the same set of problems you're seeing when I started spreading, which is why I focused on using bags. Easier to store, handle, and load by hand. Buying larger quantities of bags, I get decent discounts, and having them stored close-by negates drive time (especially handy during the day). Needless to say, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on my spreader when I did, since they're not making them any more. My biggest problem with chasing down to Burnsville for bulk is when you need salt now, you need it now, not 2 hours after sitting in traffic from now...

In your situation, I'd look into keeping a few pallets of bags on hand for those times when you cant get bulk. You could either dump bags into your v-box or use a tailgate spreader.

13. deicepro

Hey wisardsr im in the i94 monticello area, come to think of it when i started that was my problem too, friday night emptied half a load no one open til monday. so i hooked up with a supplier and bought 20 pallets of the cheapest rock, loaded my truck full every storm, empty bags were a PITA though,...hey wisardsr, make your own calcium brine, last winter in my area it hit -29 below and no problems

14. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Wish I had some local contacts in the business. Being new, I have not been able to establish any especially in my area. With my 5 yd box and UTG spreader, it will take a lot of bags to fill it, and from ground level at that if I'm away from my parking area.

15. wizardsr

Right on. All my business is closer in to the metro, but I lived in Albertville up until April of this year when we moved to Elk River. Not too far from ya! Love the area, hate the drive in, but I guess you gotta take the good with the bad...

I'm sitting on 550 gallons of mag chloride right now, and I only burn up 20-40 gallons a run (prewet only for now), so I know I'm set for this year. But I get so dang frustrated with mag chloride when it gets cold, I may dive into trying to make my own calcium if time permits this fall.

Empty bags are a pain. Fortunately, one of my satellite locations has a dumpster included. I just back the trucks up and empty away... :)

Deershack, if you're using 3 tons in a run, bags would definitely be a pain. I was referring more to when you cant get bulk because the supplier isn't open yet, and you have ice problems in the early morning hours and you desperately need to get something down quick. A cheap tailgate spreader or few bags thrown in the v-box to buy some time until the supplier opens may be all it takes to save your heiney... ;)

The other thought that crossed my mind, is if you have a forklift, stout skid steer, or some other means of lifting you could store some supersacks (they're like a big bag that holds a yard of matterial and dumps from the bottom) and dump those in your truck when needed... That would avoid the mess of storing a bulk pile, and loading is just a matter of getting them up high enough to get the truck under it... Just tossing ideas around...

16. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

The super bags sounds like a solution. Haven't herd of them before. If they hold a yd, I might have a problem. A yd should weight over a T. My 1845c is rated at about 1750# if I remember corectly. Think a yd of salt is about 2300-2500#. I could be asking for trouble trying to put that much up high for the truck.

17. wizardsr

1 yard of salt is generally 1 ton (2000lbs) unless it's wet. No one said you had to fill them up all the way either... There may even be smaller supersacks available, I haven't looked hard enough at them to know for sure... Google would be your friend on this one. ;)

18. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I'm over in Hudson,WI- Deershack give me a call and maybe we can work something out- I'm about 25 mins from maplewood. I'm willing to work with others on salt or sub contracting for me or if anyone needs extra help.
    My number is 715-338-5326-Kyle

19. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Shops: You may be a lifesaver. The one account I'm pretty sure of getting is in Hastings. Heck of a lot closer to Hudson then Burnsville. I will try to call tomorrow. Whats a good time?

20. deicepro

deershack: those "totes" or sacks are right at 2000#, check out reinders.com, they are an ok distributor