1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt prices in michigan

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by naco, Dec 7, 2006.

1. naco

naco Member

looking for a new place to get 50# bag salt or 25# i was getting 50# for $2.35 a bag now my guy says it was a mistake and the price went up to $3.90. a bag.
    let me know
    thanks

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Id say 2.35 was a mistake too.

Goes for 3.50 a bag or so.

In pallets.

3. naco

naco Member

any recommendations? where to go

4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Getting rock salt for about $2.90 a bag/delivered.

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Where ya getting your salt from, Troy? What's the minimum order?

6. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Osmun's on Hill Rd. in Flint. 80 lb ers for $4.30/bag pallet price. They do have a $5 pallet deposit, but per lb it's a good price. Marc

7. BAYLOGGER

BAYLOGGER Junior Member

Bagged Salt

Depends on where you are, I go to E and A Landscape supply in Redford on Plymouth rd.. $4.20 a bag for 80 lb bags (pallet price), $3.15 for 25 lber's. Plus really good customer service.

8. naco

naco Member

how many pallets are you getting for 2.90 a bag?
    what size are they? 25, 50, ?

9. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

They are 50 lb bags, 18 total skids/ 1 truckload min . 2.90 is what we are pay in season orders, pre-season was like 2.80

We are getting it from John Deere Landscapes. The funny part is they are getting the salt from the same supplier that we ordered from last year and I went to the supplier to get a better price from them, and they could even come close to that price. I didnt ask any questions, just signed the check to John Deere and let them figure things out with the supplier.

10. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I paid 3.55 for a 50# bag last year when I bought it by the skid. 40 Bags per skid.

11. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

You can also shop their prices on line at http://ealandscapesupply.com/winproducts.htm

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, Osmuns is where we usually get our bulk, but the bagged stuff, they don't usually have that great of prices on, anymore. The 80# bags are just too much to handle. They JUST cross the threshold of being too hard to handle...especially with a littl snow on them. They are an injury waiting to happen, for me. The 50#ers I can throw all night,wesport but that 80#er stuff...that's for the birds.:nono: I'll have to grab a price sheet next time I'm out there. Do you happen to have a price sheet? I was wondering what their pallet and single prices are for the 50# bags...Thanks if you can tell me... Are you going to be at Famous Dave's tomorrow?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  13. kingplow

kingplow Member

chemco on dort hwy flint has 80 lb bags for 4.20 pallet anyone uses 50 lb bags is just crazy unless you like paying 40 dollars more for a pallet just to have them to bag it smaller
    126.00 30 80lb =2400lbs
    166.60 49 50lb =2450lbs :dizzy: :dizzy:
    57.00 per ton bulk

14. LLM Ann Arbor

lol....how about mentioning in the original post you buy a truckload at a time.

sheesh.

Some of these guys are looking for a one night load and you know that.

15. LLM Ann Arbor

That EA supply looks like the deal if you are in that area. Good prices.

16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Kingplow, Is most of your work up here, or down toward Fenton. Do you ever get your salt from Shoemaker?

The idea behind the 50# bags, was that it was well worth the price difference (much less of a difference last year) for me after I strained my back once or twice wrestling with the 80's. Like I say,..it just reaches that threshold. That IS a big difference on price, though....Something I may very well be reconsidering - going back to the 80's. Geez, you add the tax, and do the difference, it's closer to 50 bucks! Anyway, thanks for the prices on the Chemco. :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  17. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. It can be picked up from them by the bag for $3.10 I've been lacking some sleep, too many hours plowing, not enough sleep.

18. LLM Ann Arbor

I wish I had that problem. Unfortunately for me and all of you I have too much free time to nitpick your posts!

And zero events.

grrrr.

19. MStine315

MStine315 Senior Member

Joe, I absolutely agree with you on the 80's. At 3 am with a north wind and 10 deg. the 80's are a handful. But the stubborn German in me won't buy the 50's! I'm sorry, I don't have a price sheet handy. I've been buying bulk from Kincaid for $57 vs. Osmuns for $56, but my jobs are west side, so... (By the way, those are 1 load at a time prices guys, so take it easy on me jumping on me for paying too much for bulk. I don't use but 3 tons per event.) As far as Chemco goes, I keep forgetting about them, thanks for the reminder. I've heard they have very comeptitive pricing. Yes, I plan on going today-see you there, Marc

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$40.00 to not blow out your back is worth every penny