1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt prices are super high

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pvtben121, Aug 14, 2014.

1. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

I was just quoted bulk salt at $120 a ton. Which is a $42 increase, and 53 % over last year. Highway Robbery, I am screwed with my 2 year contracts.

Just imagine if gas went up 53% that would make it $5.00 a gallon, everyone would lose their mind.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That's not a good sign... :help:

3. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

contract's should have a price clause for fuel and material price increases. this isnt the first time salt has doubled. did it couple years ago

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bingo......

Look at the history of the last 8 years.

5. liquidchloride

liquidchloride Junior Member

Word on the street is--if we get an average winter to start--3 events in Nov and 6-8 or so in Dec--we all will wish we were only paying $120---if you can stock all your salt--you might want to think about that--Lot's of info out now about the lack of salt EVERYWHERE in the Midwest to Northeast.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, mine didn't even go up 10%. Guess I'm lucky. $79 deliver to my door.

7. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

Is your price from Morton? I'm still waiting for a contract price

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Salt pricing is all over the place. I just got 25 tons delivered 80 per ton delivered. The catch is only tri axle loads and you must take it by sept 1. After that its going above 100 per ton bulk and more than that in the port whole sale yard. All my contracts this year will have a salt pricing cap.

To the CT guy's buy now because whats in the yard is all into Feb!!! The towns have almost doubled there orders this year after running out last year.

9. lilweeds

Mines American Rock Salt

10. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

lilweeds: who do you order from up in Reading, Pa?

11. lilweeds

American Rock Salt

12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

$25-$30/ton increase is what we were told today from the blue salt people. Bins are jammed full at last years price so that's a little plus....I guess $.015/lb isn't that much but Ive lost plenty of bids on less....

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know a guy who's supposedly bringing in an entire ship of salt (however that much is) at 87.50/ton. Ive already hear so many excuses why it's gone up but like everyone, we're all still waiting to hear. I want to start putting a few bids out there but how can you when the prices are all over the place.

14. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i got quoted 120 from dunning sand and gravel yesterday and that was for pick up. and if gas went up 53% its be closer to 6.20 here. we put into our contract that is supply runs short they will be getting sand/cal flakes. we are a pool company so we have thousands of pounds of calcium flakes, i had to use some last year and 200lbs. of cal mixed in woth a spreader full of sand worked pretty well.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Anybody know what bagged is gong to do? I assume follow suit, but will it be more of an increase than bulk?

16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Hey why are you not pulling from Gt in New Haven? They are the only port to bring salt into the state. The location in Hartford comes by railcar but the story is very little salt coming in this year if any to that location. So at 74 per ton plus trucking you will be still way under 120 per ton plus trucking. Delivery from the port to my shop was 100 dollars that's around 20 miles one way.

17. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I got my bagged pricing the other day. Buy bulk and fill 5 gallon pails. If not you could lose your shirt and first born!! To answer your question double and a little more for good measure.

18. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i have no idea about the ports or anything like that ive always bought from dunning. im paying 5.50 per bag of rock salt at the moment.

19. fireside

fireside Senior Member

No reason to use a middle man go to the supplier of them!! I would save the 1k on just one load and two loads is 2k. That's a nice little profit without doing anything! A buddy of mine was doing the same thing he was shocked after I saved him over 5k just buying from the port. If you need the contact info PM me.

20. fireside

fireside Senior Member

My little savings pile around 40 ton