1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt prices and bag vs bulk?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by superdog1, Nov 18, 2011.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

In my area, I can get a pallet of salt for $200.00. That is 49 bags, 50 pds each for a total of
    2450 pds. If I by it in bulk, I have to drive 35 mins one way to get it and the price is $115 a ton. I personally do not see the savings in my case? The other thing is that bulk salt is a PITA!!!!! If you do not have a place to store it that is 100% moisture free, it gets hard as a rock.

One of my competitors bought bulk last year and didn't cover it up properly. They had a load on the back of a dump and 3 guys with pick axes and digging irons spent the better part of 3 hours breaking it up. That just isn't time efficient to me?