1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plow time, Dec 14, 2007.

1. plow time

plow time Junior Member

i pay 4.35 a 50 lbs bag of salt and i spread it for 13.00 a bag do you think thats to cheap

2. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I get 50lbs for 3.85 and charge 10 bucks a bag spred

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Maybe for your area thats the going rate, but here thats pretty cheap.

Every area is different, you could be expensive for your area but cheap in another.

4. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

4.10 bag spread for $20 bag at 50lbs per bag, I also use this rate or attempt to for bulk but sometimes feel guilty for charging this muchj so as I put more down I charge less. I kinda look at it this way. How much would it be if I put ice melt down.
    53.00T for bulk. Depends on how much I put down as to how much I charge. Usually 500lbs applied for $75

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

your spreading 50lbs for $7.50 wow thats cheap

6. plow time

plow time Junior Member

price

I charge 60.00 for plowing for 1 hour but if iam only there for a 1/2 hour its 30.00 wont drop plow less

7. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

well I changed that.
    500 lbs for at least $100, I may charge $125, hell I dont know.
    realize I can run to my shop, start the skid loader, fill up & go spread 500lbs in no time. Today it took me 20 min to load & dump 500lbs The farthest i go to spread salt is 1 mile from shop.
    But I have not set that price in stone as no one has been billed out yet. just was my thoughts.
    I paid 53t for it delivered so if I charge $400 for a ton applied, I do not think that is to cheap is it.
    tell me before I bill out please.
    also read that on my bag salt I get $20 per 50 lbs applied. again that is bag applied.
    I get the bulk at a discount price so I feel that charging a little less for bulk such as 500 lbs is ok.
    Now if I spread just 50 lbs of bulk on a side walk ect I charge $20 per 50lbs.
    hope that helps expain it better.

8. plow time

plow time Junior Member

plow time

here were in plow some poeple charge for salt and the truck to spread the salt

9. plow time

plow time Junior Member

plow time

here were i plow some poeple charge for salt and the truck to spread the salt

10. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm looking for a place around here in MA to get bulk salt. I called one place and they said $83 a ton with a $35 dollar delivery charge. (since I don't have a dump) So pretty much $118 a ton... Seems a little high to me, but then again I've never bought bulk salt before.

11. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

I am on the city council where I live and when I wanted some I just asked our city clerk & city maintenance guy where we got it.
    It was the same place the IDOT gets it from. They told me the price they paid for it for the government price.
    I could not buy it at that price.
    It was about $15 a ton more than the City paid.
    Still cheaper than bagged.

Maybe call the City where you live and see who they get it from. Then call that company to see if you can get some.

12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

try NASC (north american salt company) i give sbout 60per ton delivered and 4$ per 50lb bag

Municipalities and state etc. don't pay tax and get a better deal:

if you're gonna charge more per bag than you pay you better have a tax id number and charge it on each bill to the customer

13. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

I no they dont pay taxes. Been on city council 12 years now and do govt work here in Iowa.
    That is why you hear of States letting out for purchasing items as they get deals we dont.

I was just stating it was only $15 more per ton which is not real bad.

Anyway my point was to check with city to see where they get it from. it maybe a broker or third p[arty trucker who can get you some but at a rate higher than what the Government entity pays.

14. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

oh i think we BOTH mis-understood. sorry about that

i bid the city's salt this year (about400T) and i just missed the bid by a couple of bucks but i got greedy and put 18$ per ton on it for myself

15. DodgeRamPlowMan

DodgeRamPlowMan Junior Member

Hey what's goin on man. SO your in Zanesville. Same here. my dad has a white dodge ram 1500 extended cab with a meyes 7 ft plow. He has an american flag bug guard too. it's pretty sweet. he plows for some family dollar.