1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by johndeereguy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I was just kind of curious on what others are charging to spread salt. I have a couple of large truck stops that I do. I use around 1 ton of salt on each one of em. That does not cover the entire lot, but keeps the drives, and pump areas done. I use a tractor with a mounted spreader. I pay around 60 a ton for salt now. Any input guys?

2. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

I do not know where you are located. I am in mid Michigan and run a tandem axle dually salt truck. My friend pays me $65.00 per hour to spread salt. He charges his customers $150.00 per spread-ed ton. From what I have been told by others I should be charging at least $85.00 per hour. We are currently paying $52.00 per yard for salt. I also have been forced to put a minimum of three hours salting time. I was getting called out of bed all hours of the night to spread approx. 1 ton of salt. It was not worth me starting my tandem truck for that little amount. Besides having to come home and power-wash my equipment. Good luck & hope my input helps a little.