1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bobcat310, Dec 8, 2014.

1. bobcat310

bobcat310 Junior Member

Been out of the loop for a while on salting what should I charge this days for a 50lb bag of salt in northeast ohio
  2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

How much are you paying for the salt ,how much do you charge an hour for labor ,how many hours do you have in handling the salt and spreading it ? Add that all up and you have you price divided by the number of bags.
  3. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

it's been awhile since I've used bagged stuffed, but i believe the easy way was to multiply the bag price by three or four?
  4. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

It really all depends on how much he is paying for salt? Is he buying pallets at wholesale or by the bag at home depot ? As salt prices have gone up the profit has gone down somewhat. Simply multiplying the bag price may or may not work as bag salt is already expensive and buying 50's cost even more. Customers will only pay so much.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  5. bobcat310

bobcat310 Junior Member

Im paying 6.00 dollars a bag and it takes me a half hour to salt the parking lot and salt the sidewalk I use about 6 bags
  6. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

It takes you 30 mins to spread 300-480# of salt?

You using the bird seed method?

How much is 30 minutes of your life worth doing that?
  7. bobcat310

bobcat310 Junior Member

Ok lets say it takes and hour how much would you charge?
  8. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Ur paying 12 cents a pound mark it up and charge for 700 lbs an acre my bids range from 13-25 cents/ pound. Although u may not use 700/ acre but in certain conditions u will so make sure u price it as u do so you don't screw your self.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014