1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt price survey

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Jfdvrod, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Jfdvrod

Jfdvrod Junior Member

What are the prices of salt around the country, here in Lou, KY it is $124 per ton. Seems a bit "salty". That was a price delivered at a quantity of 200 ton.

DO you charge your customers sales tax when you provide salt treatments????

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Went up from 68.50 to 73.00 this year, in ct we have to charge sales tax along with plowing.I buy tax free for resale and charge tax on total service,with the exception of my tax free jobs,PO,daycare,religious etc.

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

85/ton delivered in 25 ton quantities prior to oct 1. After then, i think it went up to 90/ton.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My butt hurts.

No sales tax collection required when I pay it.

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Nevermind".........I don't feel like a PM today..........:rolleyes:

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder if they can deliver to Michigan.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Chicken......

8. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

$95 a ton at the big pit half an hour away and $135 a yard at the material yard in town. Southern nh

9. LapeerLandscape

All you need is a sales tax # so you can be an ambassador for the state so you collect their money and send them another check every month. It does have some benefit.

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

97 a ton delivered

11. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

$145 a ton delivered. 25 ton minimum

12. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Were paying $89 per yard picked up. Or if we take delivery of a tri-axle load its $84 a ton delivered.

13. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

We're a small operation, only go through 10-12 ton a year.
    We picked up 4 ton of bulk at $175/ton and 4 pallets of bagged at $255/pallet last week.
    I shopped around and that was the best I could do on small quantities locally.
    I would have bought more earlier, at a better rate, but until last week, didn't have a storage facility.

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

$85 per ton for treated salt delivered

15. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Where in NY is this at??

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Interesting we live ontop of a salt mine in south east michigan and are paying WAY more than other states.
    $125-$140 a ton right now. They said pricing would jump out of control if December was bad, so I'm thinking since the 10 day forcast has us in the upper 30* with no snow we should be good. Although I'm sure if it's quiet all month the price will not go down

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

145.00 a ton from a local supplier.

I heard some guys getting it directly for 125.00/ton with 300-400 tons purchase.

Was wanting to put up a salt bin this year, but I didn't want a light winter, and then sit on expensive salt if it doesn't snow.

18. LapeerLandscape

I hear what your saying about us living on top of a salt mine and we have the highest price salt around.
    Some of the salt I have seen in some pics here looks brown, is that from over seas.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I believe most the brown salt is from Egypt. Michigan salt brought 2 container ships over. 45,000 tons worth. Not sure it was a whole lot cheaper but the good thing is it was available

20. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I ordered and paid for it from Holiday Sand and Gravel, Bonner Springs, KS. However, the truck that delivered it was from Central Salt, Elgin IL. 888-499-7258. Might give them a try. You look like you may be closer to them than I am, so you might do even better than my price. Good luck.