1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Price in Chicago

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Patrick3494, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Patrick3494

Patrick3494 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Does anyone know what the current salt price is in the chicagoland area right now?
  2. High. How much are you in need of
  3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

If you don't have a contract by now, it may be pretty high. It also may or may not even be available
  4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Bought and paid for mine from Holiday Sand, Bonner Springs, KS. But dump truck that delivered gave me a sales invoice from Central Salt, Elgin, IL. Might give them a try. It was $85.00/ton delivered prior to Oct 1.
  5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

at this point $120-150 a ton depending
  6. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Red's garden center in Northbrook has a decent supply, I think they are around 120-130 +delivery for bulk truckload... 140 picked up in northbrook
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, we are a little past October 1st
  8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I've seen a calendar recently. I was merely implying that that was what I paid back then, and that was paying a markup. I'm guessing that if he bought direct from the source, with a much closer delivery point, it may be pretty close to that. Or if not, at least that gives him an idea and a place to call and try.
  9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Virtually no snow in December some of the new kids on the block that thought they were going to get rich are going to be looking to get out alive relatively soon. I'd be willing to bet $20-$30 comes off those per ton prices in the near future
  10. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

I hear u there . It would be nice to get salt prices back in line or reasonable. There have been so many new companies or people try to sell salt this year.. Hopefully the will realize that every year wont be like last year.
  11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Haha no kidding. I bet I got 10 calls in September and October for "suppliers" that I'd never heard of looking to sell me salt. Most of them were as high or higher than the highest prices I paid last year. No thanks.

Hopefully this lack of snow brings prices down to where they were preseason last year.
  12. MidwestSalt

MidwestSalt Junior Member
    from Batavia

We currently have plenty of salt. We have several vessels, barges, and piles in the Chicago area. We would love to help anyone in need. visit www.midwestsalt.com. We will be able to handle any size order you will have, bagged or bulk.
  13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Ya know what it prob wont. Ohh we didn't sell enough salt last year price is going up.

Salt co I used to deal with last season sent me another letter in the mail about the availability. Surprised they have not called again. Not sure why the smaller guys who are probably paying more to get there salt can sell it for less then a bigger co who is purchasing way more volume. I'm sure its just greed like last season like how they tried to price fix calling other distributors to keep the prices high.
  14. Jet Stream

Jet Stream Junior Member

WE'VE GOT SALT BY THE TRUCKLOAD- bags, liquid or bulk!

We will DELIVER TO YOU in CHICAGO by the truckload for $121 ton.

"We" are:

The Jet Stream Group awarded U.S Government Contract

Jet Stream Fuels, Inc., has been awarded a contract to supply BULK ROAD SALT to the U.S. Government.

Founded in 2011, Jet Stream Fuels quickly expanded from a supplier of jet fuel to a global trading and marketing company supplying refined products, bulk road salt, liquid calcium chloride, coal, and other aggregates to federal, state, county, local governments, and corporations.

As part of their continued growth plan, Jet Stream Fuels provides de-icing products (bulk/bagged road salt and liquid chlorides) via vessels up to 75,000 mt, barges, and truckloads.

Further details are available on their website http://JetStreamFuels.com

The company does possess a 637 Registration to procure and sell wholesale fuel products in the U.S. For More Information Contact: Susan Cromer, VP Sales at 786-566-0195
  15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What's your delivered price per ton to 44691, and 45701? I'm just curious for now. We have plenty but always shopping for a deal...