1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt piles

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mrplowdude, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

How many people have there own salt and sand/salt piles? And what do you use to load your equipment?

I plan to use a 763 bobcat. and will have both salt and sand/salt.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sand pile coated with Magic -0. Compact tractor and loader I bought this year.
  3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

200 tons in covered bin and I use my samsung 180 to load it.
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 3 sided building that we can store up to approximately 300 tons.

We usually keep a pile of sand mix 1 salt to 7 sand as well as our main pile of salt mix which is 4 salt to 1 sand in the same shed and still have enough room to get the Deere 410E in too.
  5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

pile with a tarp over it...Case 1840 or Takeuchi TL 130 to load
  6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We keep ours in an old horse shed, three sides, open front with an overhang. We have a tired Bobcat to load. We dug out a little back up area for the truck to drop it down a foot to make loading easier.
  7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We use a small bobcat and keep the salt in 20 yard rented dumpsters. At the end of the season we just call and they pick them up. No muss, no fuss! We don't even have to worry about what affects the salt has because we rent them for only 4 months at a time. The bobcat can drive right into them and nobody steals the salt when we aren't there. We cover them with a very heavy canvas tarp that truckers use to cover their loads. Works out great because our clients don't complain that we have sheds and equipment on their property all summer!
  8. Treedoc32

Treedoc32 Member

We store our salt in a bin we built in a bus garage. We store about 50 tons in a area about 12 ft. wide and 21 ft. long. At the end of the season, what we have left stays there until next year. We close the door and forget about it until next season. We have a local trucking firm sling the salt into our bin to maximize our space. If we have left over salt in our trucks after an event we just back into the bin and dump.
  9. Big Dog D

This is what I store our materials in. On the left is the Sand/Mix(15%salt)and Salt Mix on the right(85%salt). It's a litte empty now but it's better than a tarp!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  10. dirt digger

nice..whats on the far left enclosed area?..is that a garage/shop?
  11. Big Dog D

It's just a small storage area that we usually store the excavator in when it is here in the winter and snowmobiles in the summer.
  12. dirt digger

how big, and what kind of trackhoe you have?
  13. Big Dog D

Deere 50zts