1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Piles At Port

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

We were down in Port Newark a few weeks ago. I have meant to post these pics for a while. It doesn't look like there will be a shortage this year!

2. Chuck Smith

from NJ

There was 2 piles at this one, which I *think* is International Salt. The other pics I will post are from Cargill. They have 4 or 5 piles, and bagged product.

You can barely see the loader in the pic on the left side of the pile.

3. Chuck Smith

from NJ

A closer look at the loader. I have never seen such large piles up close. Cargill is the only one that had signage, so the other piles (these) are either International, or Morton.

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

This is looking in thegate at Cargill. You can see the mountain straight ahead. You can also see several piles on the left side of the pic. On the right side, is bagged product on pallets, covered in black plastic. They go for about 100 yards! As far as th eye can see (in this pic).

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nice pics Chuck, thanks for posting. Thats alot of salt!! Mike :drinkup:
  6. Jay Kosack

Jay Kosack Junior Member

We were down at Pt. Newark a couple of weeks ago. In the past 15 years I have not seen that much road salt in the NY/NJ market
    pre-season. I am told by my salt contacts that the origination shipping ports are loaded to the maximum. Some of the rock salt mines have stopped production.

Pray for snow!

Jay Kosack
  7. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

I can remember 3 years ago they had piles like that down in Toledo Ohio at the ports coming in from the Great Lakes. Then they shut the mines down and then 'guess what" all kinds of shortages. Go figure:rolleyes:
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

there is a huge 50k+ tons sitting along the river right now @ kuhlmans.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Go figure...

They did it again
  10. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

when the towns get salt (on state bid), and are sent to New London to get it,, the salt comes from Ireland. Ireland, salt is one of they're biggest exports. Few years back, all Irish salt was a deep red/maroon color. Go figure.
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Chuck, are you close enough to get us a current shot? It might be interesting to make a comparison.
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Good thinking Pelican. Thats a good idea. :waving: Mike
  13. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I bet it would be some comparison!!! There were piles like that here in the fall. Now the piles are only as high as the loader stacks and about a 1/10 of the size. They can't get it off the barge fast enough.
  14. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Interisting pictures, all that salt is pretty amaizing, but what is just as amaizing is the tarp they use to cover it all.:eek:
  15. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

New London CT soes not have salt anymore, they stopped a few years back. Salt now comes from New Haven and Providence. I went to Providence last thursday and they were unloading a salt barge at that time. It was pretty neat seeing the conveyor system that was being used.
  16. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

Not surprised. I've been off the highway now three years. It was a big hassle getting salt from there and having it trucked up to us. Secondly, the salt was always saturated in water. I don't think they ever covered the piles when off loaded. If they did, it wasn't a good covering job. I know the state and some of the bigger towns complained constantly. Maybe that is why it has been moved elsewhere.
  17. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Hey Chuck,

With all the talk of a salt shortage, I was wondering what all those piles you got pictures of look like now?
  18. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

At least 2 different barges landed there this week, so the pile could be decent at this moment. Although, there are plenty of trucks pulling in there to take it away, so it may not last too long. Chuck, if you see this, I'm driving right by there tonight. (around 10:00 PM then again around Midnight on way home.) Post or call me with directions of how to get exactly where the salt is & I'll swing by & take a look. If it seems my camera can get decent night shots, I'll take them.
  19. site

site Member

I drive by some similar salt piles every day in Portsmouth, NH. This year there has been a parade of ships through the place. They work 24/7 unloading the ships, and as soon as one leaves another one takes its place. Needless to say we are having a snowy winter.
    Heres the sad thing though- you would think I might be able to buy salt cheaply since I buy it directly from the guy unloading the ships, but he charges $50/ton. A similar price to what I have seen quoted here for folks much further from the port. The folks who run the operation take home some serious $$$.
  20. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

It's starting to get tuff to get salt, we just got another load today outa port Newark, we've probly gone through somewhere around 160 tons this year so far. I hear there all backed up getting salt out to guys and some people are saying there having trouble getting it, we've been ok though.