1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt pile leaching

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by procraft7399, Jun 1, 2014.

1. procraft7399

procraft7399 Junior Member
    from Indiana

My business is home based, i have left over salt from winter. It leached into part of the yard next door killing grass and small trees (2). I am going to fix the death but my question is can i have problems with osha/county/state chemist for this? Is salt an environmental hazard?
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think as long as your only killing your property you'll probably be OK but as soon as the neighbors call and complain about their grass dying you're screwed
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it has already gone to the neighbor.
    Unless your neighbor is really upset or hates you I would think you should be fine.
  4. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Call your local county office, and find out what is required for salt storage. All have different requirements.
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Agreed, but when they ask who you are or where your address is, do not tell them. Usually calling the government for any kind of question will open a can of worms bigger than any of us want to see...

I should also mention that depending on your area of the country, and local ordinances, many places consider open storage of salt hazardous material storage. This of course changes when it is kept in a sealed contained such as a sea box. I know an individual dealing with this issue right now and let me tell you that it is a whole world of hurt you don't want to bring upon yourself. Depending on how deep your pockets are, it can ruin your entire business.

Advice: Do whatever you can to make that neighbor happy and your absolute friend. Then get rid of the salt pile. Give it away, throw it out, whatever you do just get it out of site and off the property before someone can take pictures. The money lost in salt is a drop in the ocean compared to what could be faced from environmental fines and "clean up" costs from run off. If your storing it at your home and its running off into the neighbor's yard from rain, odds are by time you go to use it again it will be junk anyways. Just not even worth wasting your effort or time trying to save tiny amounts of salt..

I'm not saying I agree with how seriously some areas take salt storage, but I'm just letting you know what I've seen happen to others and am watching happen right now to an individual.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

FWIW, a "reportable spill" here in Michigan is 50#.

Yes, I know, I can spread 50# over a sidewalk and it is not a spill. I can spread a ton on a parking lot and it is not a spill. I can spread a truckload on a parking lot and it isn't a spill. But if I break a 50# bag, it is supposedly reportable. Shoot, I get upwards of 50 tons delivered many times during the winter and it isn't a spill.

Don't ask me, I didn't make the law\regulation.

Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous the law\regulations can be.
  8. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

It is just a Joke how the Gooberment runs things.....No one to blame but ourselves....We keep electing these Bozos.....:dizzy:

On a side note....TCLA spilled a Beer on me and I did Not report it...:waving:
  9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

spilling beer is not a reportable spill but it is a damm shame
  10. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

The biggest concern is polluting the ground water. There is a small Township in NE Ohio that polluted the ground water with salt from improper storage and was fined by the EPA along with having to pay for test wells and water systems for affected property owners.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

More like a tragedy.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

To the OP...are you listening to the input here?

Let's hope you're taking very good care of your neighbor. He has the potential of being your worst nightmare.

Speaking of nightmares.......

Oh really?

I suppose every industry related website and every cotton pickin thread you have ever posted this in in the past 5 years doesn't count as "reporting it"?

13. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

14. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

You do have to use some caution with salt storage, mostly due to run off and ground water contamination, as mentioned already. Salt should be stored in a covered "barn". If you are on a well, you want to be even more careful. I assume everyone knows that you can't drink salt water... It doesn't take all that much either and while it may take a millennia to reach the aquifer through natural filtration, it can follow a well casing and get there a lot quicker if your well is close by.
  15. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a Metal Shipping Storage Container.... Works Well