Snow Plowing Forum banner

Salt per thousand?

991 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flykelley 
#1 ·
Just curious does anybody have a lb per thousand chart. Right now I am just guessing and it is not working out. If your lot is 1000 square ft how much salt should be used? I really appreciate all the help I can get so thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Frue.
There is no magic number, alot of things will change how much salt you will need. Surface temps, outside temps, wind, slope of lot just to name a few. I have lots that some days I can doit with 1/2 ton of salt, other days it may take 3/4 tons of salt. I just I am just telling you there is not set answer. Alot of times it is just trial and error. How much salt are you using right now that isn't working for you?

Regards Mike

#4 ·
frue;707518 said:
Well I was looking for a basic chart for salt usage. I Know it varies per condition like how much snow, how cold, and what type of salt. If I had a basic guide I could then know when to add more. Thanks for the quick reply.
Hi Frue
I have never seen a chart, not saying there isn't one but I have never seen or heard of one. I know this will start a salt war but the rule of thumb that I was taught was 1 ton of salt will cover 1.5 - 2 acres. Of course as I said above alot of things will change the amount of salt that you will need. Hard pack verus a little fluffy snow, there is no magic chart is what I am trying to tell you. How much are you now using that is not working?

Good Luck Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.