1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Per Acre ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Triton Snow Systems, May 9, 2005.

1. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

How much salt as an average do some of you use per acre??

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

It depends on a number of factors:

Straight salt or a blend?
    Treated Salt (ie Magic or Clearlane)?
    How cold?
    What surface?
    What exposure? (North/South etc.)
    How much moisture in the snow?
    Pre-treat or deicing?
    Customer/contract requirements

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Triton you going to the Sima event in Chicago in Aug ? I will be there I bet these guys (Mike Nelson or Alan Steinman) would answer your ?

Anyway I think the average varies alot by what was mentioned above. I know 400 pounds an acre is all that should be required but again the varibles come into play here. Is there traffic to help break down the salt ? etc. etc. If your looking for an average for bidding I think that would be low from what I see applied in our area. I would probally shoot for 800 #'s for a good average. You may go alot heavier for colder weather, or just sprinkle it on for show when you know the suns coming out and it is climbing past 32 degrees.
    Here is some good reading material I think Mick posted or maybe Chuck (dont remember) but there is tons of good info.
    http://www.saltinstitute.org/
    Todd