1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Origins?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by naturalgrass, Feb 3, 2009.

1. naturalgrass

naturalgrass Junior Member

Does it matter where salt comes from? Chile, Peru, UK, Canada, Utah......

Can somebody give me a lesson or de-bunk the "myth"?
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

look up some of my messages if you want to learn more about salt.

Solar salt is more saline in quantity as rock salt is not crystal salt.

Crystal salt salt is salt that has been evaporated by the wind and sun

hence all the impurites have settled out to the botom of the salt pond.

more information if you desire to look it is available at www.saltinstitute.org.

I will post a complete list of solar salt producers for everyone to use.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

nope, price is what counts,
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

no it's all too damn expensive
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

:confused:tymusicup here we get away with sanding with a mix of calcium/sand on the main park lots but near the sidewalks in front of the stores we put salt down, This idea of salting the entire parklot is crazy!!!!!!!!!!! But its whatever your used to.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya thats because canadien managers don't give a sh*t where as stuck up s.o.b.'s from the south come up to the north and try and manage a store and dictate to us how to plow when he doesn;t even know what a snow flake looks like, let alone how to shovel a sidewalk and then complains when you leave "topsoil" on the parking lot. i had to kindly remind him that there would be no reason or benefit for me to mix topsoil with salt but he insisted otherwise, so since then i've cut out sand usage completely.
  7. plowjack

plowjack Junior Member
    from yes

I am not a fan of these products coming out of peru,brazil or chile. I did get a chance to see these products and refused to purchase based on the color and texture it turned me off. Not to mention I was not told of its origin until i questined it. All i can say is buy american WE need it, all of us. Some corporate giant thougt it better to get fater than support our local economy. That really pi**es me off. I will gladdly pay a little more to help support this economy. OH back to your question, Its dirty and soft,and if it is solar salt it is lite and tends to blow away. I need salt that is also good for traction as well as melting properties. I am spoiled on mined rock salt it is more dence. JUST MY OPINIONS
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

In the GTA you better have bare asphalt or your fired and/or sued,

In Barrie, everyone wears boots, and you better have left snow in the parking lot for the snowmobile riders or you're going to hear it.

Two cities (80k apart), two very different standards.
  9. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

I agree. But.... Here I am about two hours from the largest salt mine in the world, with money in my hands and they can't provide the product. WHY?
  10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Monopoly I figure
  11. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

when you asked them why they cant provide the product what did they say?
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Unless you have a history with them they're not taking new customers.

You'll have to rely on your local supply yards or direct shipments from a broker/seller.
  13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't an opinion be more valuable and accurate if it was based on how well the product works (or doesn't work) after trying it, as opposed to not liking the color?

Sure "buy American", anyone can get behind that. Maybe your not in a position where your supply will run out. Not a bad position to be in. Buying brownish colored salt is not as horrible as portrayed.
  14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yep I agree.
    The Big Salt Companys produce what they think will not be enough to create a shortage. Then shut the mine down or say the train broke, so now they plan to double the old price since there is a shortage. Then the price shoots up to $200 a ton since we paid to truck it from Kansas. Works out great for everyone but the contractor, The American way....

I am having excellent results with "brown salt", it looks like it has sand in it. It all dissolved in a cup of water :drinkup:. Best part is, even at the sickening price of $185 a ton loaded, they have plenty. So no worries on a limited supply.
  15. plowjack

plowjack Junior Member
    from yes

Again only an opinion if the u.s. Product is avalable and it is, why buy this salt from other countries? The company did not give you a choice the salt was cheaper to purchase from south america and able to charge more because of some " shortage". A good friend once told me "hogs get fat pigs get slaughtered"
  16. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'd like to check in on a couple of thoughts:
    1) Color doesn't matter. Most the salt of different color is only that way due to the trace minerals in the geological formation from where it was mined. If you check the chemical analysis of these products, you will find they are well with in the range of the percent of total chlorides required by ASTM D632 which is a minimum of 95% total chlorides. Most salts are at least that percent or higher. It is the chlorides that melt snow.

2) I honestly don't think the US producers aren't a bit worried about the shortage. Think about the increase THEY are getting on the huge amounts they sell each year. An extra $10-30/ton on MILLIONS of tons. The are smiling all the way to the bank. Their production costs haven't gone up that much from last year to this year. Do you think they are really worried about the few who bring in foreign salt here or there throughout the midwest...no way. I venture to say that all the foreign salt brought in combined wouldn't amount to an eraser mark on the US producers balance sheet.

3) For those of you who bought foreign salt on a spot basis because you had to should be thankful that it was available. Otherwise you'd be in real trouble with your snow removal contracts. It kept you in business when your US supplier cut you off. For those who had the "onions" to lay out a significant investment for the foreign product deserve to make a return on that effort. That is the american way.

4) A good friend told me the recipe for success is "find something people need, provide it for them, and treat them fairly."

Just my opinion as well as others posted on here.