1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt or snow melt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mossballs, Jan 14, 2005.

1. mossballs

mossballs Member
    from MN

Does anyone know anything about "Snow Melt: I have been using straight salt on some of my lots and it works good unless it gets to cold. Does anyone know if snow melt works better then salt and if so, what is the cost of it

2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Every deicer has it's place. Salt is the cheapest of all deicers and is used majority of the time for that reason. Instances where we would not use salt would be on cement and corrosion sensitive ares, or in extremely low temps when salt is inaffective. For sensative places we use a CMA based product.

Prices will vary greatly from product to product based on contents. you can do some searches on here to see what products work where. Most popular deicers contain Calcium or Magnesium chloride, or CMA which is Calcium Magnesium Acetate. :cool:

3. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

I use Ice melter everywhere except parking lot areas..

Ice Melter is more effective and more safe for turf areas, stairs, pathways, etc..

Use salt only on parking lots and driveways..

4. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Unless you are using 100% CMA, the CMA product is not CMA based, but sodium chloride based. Meaning it is approximately 90%+ rock salt.