1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt or other ice melters per square foot???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Acutabovesiny, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

Does anyone know how much salt or other ice melters are used per square foot? Im trying to price out a job but dont know how much ice melt will be needed. Any info would be helpful. Im interested to know the weight needed not the $ amount.

2. Acutabovesiny

Acutabovesiny Member

I would appriciate any help. I dont have any experience with ice melt.

3. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Rule of thumb:

2 - 4 oz. per square yard.

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

20lbs. per 1000 sq.ft...

5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Salt usage

On all my new accounts I do the first salting with a push spreader to determine exactly how much I am going to need. I have found that in a fairly average salting I can get about 5,000 square feet per 50 pound bag. For heavier saltings I get about 3,000 per bag. I figure my bid on ALL jobs at 3000 per bag though.

Hope this helps

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

With a push spreaser? Wow you are an eager beaver! I can see maybe the first time ever salting but every new place! Maybe I should try this, I'd be in alot better shape.

7. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Keep in mind some of the variables are drastically different. Temperature? Ground temperature? Concrete or asphalt? Sunny or overcast? Amount of traffic on the lot? Flat or sloped lot? What de-icing material is being applied? You can get a ballpark but every storm is different. Good luck.

8. cod8825

cod8825 Member

2 TO 4 OZ for ice melt as a rule of thumb pr sq yrd
    1 ton salt pr acre and you can break it down from there expect to pay anywhere from 60 to 90 per ton for salt.