1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt or not?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Pennings Garden, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I have a medium strip mall I signed with this year. Tonight they say 1 inch of snow. I have a 2 " inch trigger (that is my normal contact). It's going to be cold the next 3 days (34 of a high) and then it should go up to 40 for 2 days. Would you pre treat with salt or say it's not 2 inch so do nothing? I have a good understanding with all my commercials to know what they want. This is a new account and I think this guy does not want to spent any more then he really needs to and it's a little hard to get a feel for what he wants...

What would you do?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i would ask him what he wants

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I would call and explain how much better it would be and safer if it is pre treated. That would give you an insight to how he thinks and go from there.

4. Pennings Garden

from VA

I'm sure we all have had a customer like this, He doesn't want to get sued, but he also doesn't want to spend too much. I also don't want to get sued, but I don't want to fight about getting paid either. My second truck has an opening that needs to be filled and I wanted to fill it. I agree asking him would be best, but that is not an option tonight or tomorrow. And yes I know I should have discussed this before the weekend... but that does not help me now.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Somtime with a new customer I will do what i think is best

if they dont complain it was alright if they do complain then you know what not to do

i time you will figue out what he does and doesnt want

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Pretreating are you talking anti-icing the process of putting salt or liquid down before it snows? I wouldn't anti-ice with a 2" trigger, trust me he won't want it, I would with a 1" trigger though. Wait to see how much it snows and then decide. The above posts are right though you should really ask him in the near future.

7. Pennings Garden

from VA

Yes, I know I agree with every one that would say I should have asked him this before it came to this.
    JD, 1 inch is forecasted, let’s say 1 inch falls. I do nothing, Monday morning someone slips and breaks their leg. My contract calls for a clear 2" trigger. They try to sue. Were do I stand? In my eyes I'm covered, but I have been wrong before. That's why I like the zero tolerance contracts, it's clear, what ever I have to do no discussion, none of this; I did want that, kind of crap.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My lots are all 0 tolerance but you were asking if you should anti-ice I thought, so I said no. If you feel the need to salt you should, I would have never signed a 2" min contract.

9. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Sounds to me like you would have to wait until you get 2 inches b4 doing anything which stinks.

10. Pennings Garden

from VA

They way I see it now is; just salt it like every other lot I do and if he does not want to pay me for this salt it's my loss (maybe 35.- plus labor) and I have some thing to cover myself with if it would ever get nasty.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Medium sized strip mall takes $35 in salt, I was thinking about something a little larger, for 35 bucks I'd spread it.

12. Pennings Garden

from VA

Around here $65.- buys you a ton bulk, $35.- cost of salt in my eyes is medium size, sorry I did not detail this more...
    and just spread it, that is kind of the way I see see it at this point

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No problem.:drinkup:

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 1" salt trigger and 2" plow trigger on one of my accounts. This summer I was told about a slip and fall we had in the winter. I looked in my records and there was 1/2" of snow that night. I told the insurance investigator that it snowed 1/2" of snow and our trigger was 1". That was the last I heard of that slip and fall. The insurance guy did say how do you have a 1" trigger at a school? Good question.

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i know things are differnt in different areas, but why wouldn't he want his snow plowed at any amount? a 2" snow here is a BIG deal (they usually cancel school) and i would think his shop rentors would complain if he didn't plow the snow! i would plow everytime it snowed or not do the lot at all....after all you are the snow pro, not him..you should decide when and when not to plow. what if you get 1 3/4" of snow and you DONT plow and people see your unplowed lot and they think "O jaybrown plows that lot and he doesn't even show up" what then?? last year i had a client that only wanted salt when he called me for it, so he could pinch his pennies....guess when he called me? he callled me when my truck was emptied out and put away!!! that relationship didn't last very long.... BTW what happens if you get 1 1/2" of snow (not enough for you to plow with your contract) and it packs down, then you get another 1 1/2" of snow the next day....what do you do then??

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In Buffalo 2" of snow means you get to go back to bed for a couple more hours and hardly anyone takes salt, right GV.

17. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

We get 2" everyday! The reason I went to bulk salt is so I can sell alot of salt, I salt every time it snows from a trace to 6". I didn't plow today but I salted. If I didn't sell salt I would not be working 50% of the days I work now in the winter because I sell salt. You have to sell all your customers on salt every time you a have slippery parking lot and someone could slip and fall.

18. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i would contact the owner if he says no have him sign a refusal slip that way your covered
    we had a 1/2 inch last night temp hoovering around freezing we salted all properties

19. ilawns

ilawns Junior Member

Melt it rather than plow 1 inch

Good food for thought. I could use some advice. I have a 60,000 sq ft commercial lot that I plow for 1 inch or more. This is a church and they want the lot cleared even at 1 inch.
    I do not have a truck/spreader set up. For de-icing in the event of ice build-up I subcontract to another company set up to spread bulk salt over this area.
    This arrangement has worked for both myself and the customer in the past.
    However, in the case of a 1 inch storm, would it be better to hit it with salt or Ice Melt from a walk behind spreader rather than abuse my plow/truck on that little snow?

20. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

a walk behing would not do the trick on 60,000 sf.....in this case we would be plowing the lot and hopefully by noon if the sun peeks out it would be nice and dry....