1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt or no salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by badranman, Jan 10, 2004.

1. badranman

badranman Senior Member

If someone has a seasonal contract for salting do they salt during the days that a business is closed? I was wondering if they could be sued because someone slipped on some ice even though it's private property and they weren't open, or does it even matter?

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If McDonald's can be sued for making people fat or for someone getting burned by coffee, im sure they can come up with a way to sue you for not salting.Personally i always salt if people are there or not.Only time i may hold off is if i know nobody is there and that it would melt off very early that day.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

"Anybody can sue anybody at anytime for anything."

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have 2 banks on my list of accounts. (Keep in mind that they are the best customers that I have.) If it snows or ices at night or Saturday afternoon or Sunday I keep the ATM machines lane completely clear, then early Monday a.m. I clean the rest of the lot. I use all the regular routines to do this (salt or plowing). For the rest of my accounts if it should snow on Christmas or Thanksgiving day I usually wait until that night to service them.:waving:

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Unless your contract specifies not to maintain on a day that they are not open, I'd be there, business as usual for me. The only thing that changes for me, is on a day lets say Sat or Sun, or a Holiday, then my route changes. Suddenly the M-F have cleared by 7AM is not a priority, on a Sunday, the churches are the 1st priority, then resturants etc. Depending on the day and time of day of the event, determines my route or priorities. It also would depend on the traffic, foot or auto, such as the prior post, a Bank etc.

6. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

The customer chooses the option for Ice control. As for the plowing, I will only plow if they let me salt.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I salt no matter what time of day or night, or if they're open or closed.:waving: