1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt only nights.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PerfiCut L&L, Dec 7, 2005.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Just wanted to find out how others bill for nights where you only salt. Do you charge for service time and or travel time in addition to the salt, or do you only charge for the salt.
  2. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Personally, I Only charge for salt no travel time or costs. except for one landscaping company i plow for they ran a $3,000 bill with me last year just on driveways. This year i got 70% commercial from them i charge the .40 a mile from my shop to each job then from last job to my shop (round trip) and then charge for the salting.

3. On my contracts, I specifically give them pricing on just salt applications. I typically charge 50% of the plowing price. However, if its just a trip for an ice storm, the charge is 75% of the plow price.

Plowing 200
    Salt after plow 100
    Salting only trip 150 (we get alot of ice/freezing rain around here)
  4. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

We take care of a local Kodak office.. They have us making trips daily whether it snows or not.

If the temps are below 34, we salt daily. Plowing at 1". Sidewalks at 1".

We charge a set rate for salt applications.

Lot is 136,000sq ft. I charge $380 for salt + $100 for drive time (It's 24 minutes each way + 15-20 mins on site).

All of our other commercial accounts are on a set rate too. I don't do the x amount per ton deal..
  5. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I have yet to drop a plow, but have have 4 salting events.

Salt pricing is simple, $.23 per pound applied, 24/7/365

This includes if I have just plowed it, or not.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

If I salt only then I charge a reduced rate compared to the plowing, I call this a Service Call, then add in the cost of the bags of salt used.

My commercials are salt always with plow so the extra time for salting is added into the cost of plowing, then I just add the cost of the bags of salt used.
  7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Ive always charged a flat fee of .35 / # for salt. I figured with the markup and the amount of salt I used I was covering my costs rather well.

However, this year ive incorporate an additional "service" fee for those times I go out for salt only. This covers the truck use, maintenance, and cleanup costs. This way, if I have to drive 10 miles for a small lot which only uses 100 or 150# of salt, Im still making a fair amount.

Do you something similar? and if so do you use this method as well for sidewalks too? Im thinking of incorporating $25 "Spreader" fee plus .35/# for sidewalks. This way, I can cover the costs of purchase, maintenance, and cleanup of the spreaders as well. - I figure a sidewalk job that uses 100# is worth more than $35.

Your thoughts? ideas?