1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt neutralizer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tastebeer, Jan 7, 2010.

1. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

anyone found any product that will neutralize the effects of salt on equipment. I've looked at several products but have not tried any yet.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

FLUID FILM. Coat everything before you start for the season, and you should be good all season.

3. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

^^^ Now that's a man that knows how to protect his equipment...:drinkup:

BTW, if there are any members on here who have never tried Fluid Film and live in the US, just PM me for a free sample can. Oh, and sign up for our new fan page at www.fluid-film.ning.com and join the Plowsite Group to support your forum. :drinkup:

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Dano, can I try the brush can again?

5. Dano50

from CA

See, now it's that magic word "again" that creates the problem. :D

We've got a big shipment of brush cans heading out to John Deere tomorrow. It's in their system and will be on their shelves soon. :drinkup:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for it.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

See DANO I have learned a thing or two. 1) how to protect my equipment. 2) how to suck up and try to score some free Fluid Film stuff, lol.

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

what about us Canadians, would love to try your product, where can i find it? Any chance of a trial can?

9. mwmdesigns

mwmdesigns Junior Member
    from Pa

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Salt-away. Sold at West Marine.Around 35.00 a gal. Starter kit comes with a spray attach for hose.

11. Dano50

from CA

It just goes to show, if you really apply yourself you can learn something new everyday! :drinkup:

12. Dano50

from CA

PM sent :D

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I'll be honest spray your stuff down with good ol household vinegar, hose down your equipment, and it will remove all the salt and most of the rust that was starting to form. Then hit it with fluid film to protect it from there.

14. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Try Salt Ex...At Salt Ex.com......US Navy uses it to wash down their ships..Been using it for awhile....Very good stuff...Very reasonable priced.....

15. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Fluid Film.................sprayed on all trucks, spreaders, plows etc. It works great. And after washing the equipment 5 times so far this season, still repells and beads.

16. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I use this stuff at work all the time. Chlor-rid works great on un-painted parts. For vehicles and equipment use their Chlor-wash. It is like a car wash soap, except it neutralizes and removes the salt deposits as well.

17. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Does anyone know if you need to cut fluid film with something to put it through a hand sprayer ?

If so what is compatible ?

I purchased a gallon and intended to put it on with a brush , would work on my plows but after looking under my truck I would like to pressure wash and then spray with fluid film .

MDOT is spraying liquid and salting all state roads now , undercarriage is taking a real beating will fluid film aid in stopping corrosiion that has started .... surface level ?

18. U1200

U1200 Member

Buy a duplicolor bedliner spray gun, it works very well for spraying out of the gallon cans. Can be had at a local parts store i would think.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Vinegar neutralizes salt.

20. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Used motor oil. Just spray away, especially great for undercarriages. Might be problematic for the front of plows though.