1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt loader

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by John Mac, Nov 21, 2008.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I wanted to get a backhoe but didn't want to spend the money, time are tough so bought this instead, it will be my shop machine for loading salt and I will put forks on it in the summer. Who ever had it before me took real good care of it, just rebuit motor, cheap enough so if I don't use alot no big deal.
    jd 401.jpg

jd 401.jpg

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is that a 401?

3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Yes it is a 401c, good, bad ? worked well at the dealers.

4. cretebaby

Nice little tractor

Love the sound of them

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

where upstate are you from? that tractor should do you well for a salt loader. is it diesel or gas?

6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

diesel, Franfort.

crete, I looked up under some tractor forums and it looks like still some folks using them so that is a good sign. It did sound real good, almost like my Deere dozer. I found out that it has "commercial loader" one stick operation and leveling bucket. The owner had all the lights working, heat, wiper etc. he even put carpet in head liner and floor, pulled it back to make sure it wasnt rusted, wasn't. Tractor has no real rust on it, little paint this summer and maybe I did "OK" , just wonder how hard parts are going to be to get. I like old stuff, don't mind using them as long as it runs good. This was a third of the price for pretty old backhoe and don't need a backhoe in the summer because I use a excavator for all my digging.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

call these guys up. I get parts for my backhoe/loader form these guys and they are really good. they are mcfaddens. they are in sharons springs ny. it is a tractor salvage yard.

8. cretebaby

John

parts are fairy easy to get because it is the same as an ag tractor the one we have used has a lot of green parts on it

that loader is very heavy your probably going to want to make a conterweight for it

i may be mistaken but i think those tractors were made here in Dubuque

9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Thanks Crete, I just couldn;t justify rental of a loader when I can buy something for the same money. Your rite the tractor looks and feels heavy, The loader arms are pretty beaffy. Any ideas on good idea on counter weight, maybe something that hangs off of the 3 point. The bucket is quite large, I would say the same size as a backhoe. I am thinking early 80's vintage. It is kinda neat that someone on here has had one of these.

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

you could fill the rear tires with antifreeze. that will make a really good ballast. this is the tractor I have. you can't kill the old diesel tractors. I wish it had a cab likes yours but o well. I paid $3000 for mine with 100 hours on a rebuilt engine, new clutch, and new brakes. I like it does good for what I use it for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. cretebaby

i was thinking something like a large concrete block on the three point

you should research its age, it would be interesting to know i would guess its a little older than 80's

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 45 gallon drum works well. Make the hook up first and then fill it full of cement.

13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

JD, thats a good idea and easy to do. Crete, maybe it is older than 80's, as soon is I get it to the shop I will look up SN. Tailpipes old stuff can be good, sometimes they really don't "make it like they used to".

I was thinking about welding the bucket tabs to a skid steer quick attach ( the skid steer side) and the skid steer plate to the bucket. I would then use skid steer forks etc, make the machine alot more usefull. Any one do this, what do you think? The forks on the bucket looks like a bad idea, you can't see the cutting edge so how are you going to use it to pick up pallets.

14. cretebaby

the skidsteer mod is a good idea its is about the easiest way to convert to quick attach

some of the aftermarket companies make the parts for small loaders but idk if they make it for that vintage

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good, you should put chains or some weight on the back or all it's going to do is spin JMO.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Put a 16' pusher on that and let in make you some real money ...............LOL

It will work great for loading salt!

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do you actually read anything or just post aimlessly as usual.

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I wish I had a back how on my Allis Chalmers 5050. I use it for bush hogging and hauling out wood. It works good but I only take small twiches with so I don't over work it. It belonged to my great grandfather so I'm realy easy on it.

19. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

thanks JD, I read the post from mercer also but just didn't have the energy to explain! :dizzy:

I found this, looks like a great idea for using skid steer stuff on a tractor, any thoughts, any body do this? If i wanted to get really fancy I could run hydro's to the arms and run all kinds of stuff. I own a quite a few attachments for skid steers.
    quick attach.jpg

quick attach.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not very hard to make a skid plate, we made one and we just use wedges for the pins. Your idea is better but will cost more.