1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt left stains

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NCat496, Feb 19, 2010.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

All season I have been using Puremelt with CMA and it has been a great product until the last pallet I bought. Either they changed their mix of blue in the product or someone at the factory messed up and just about tripled the amount of blue in the ice melter. This product stained the concrete blue on a few of my properties and not I dont know what to do. I went there this morning and the concrete was dry and you could still see the tint of blue. Any suggestions? I have stopped using the product by the way.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Have you tried to rinse it away with a garden hose? I know most are turned off, but it's a thought. I'd get on the horn to your supplier and if they don't help go to the manufacturer. It very well may not be a permanent stain though, if it washes away no harm no foul. BUT they should still replace the product you already have.

3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Find out if it's Prussian Blue--a very common blue dye in salt. It's water soluble and should rinse off, but you might need high-pressure to get it 100%.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

How old is that concrete? The surface is in terrible condition. Have you been using that product since new? I'd look into switching to regular rock salt....

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

How bout you use CaCl

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Use a torch. Then all you have to buy is propane or mapp or asedyline and o2. Are your customers complaining???????

8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Just bust it up and re-pour it with with hydronic piping. Problem solved, and bill accordingly.

:D

9. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Not sure how old the concrete is. Concrete is not my department but why do you say its in horrible condition? It doesnt look like that to me. (Im just trying to learn your point of view so I can better understand, Im not questioning you)
    Yes, they are complaning.

10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I test concrete all summer, and am around concrete all time. If that's brand new concrete, it would be a problem, but if its 10 years old, it's showing normal wear.

You had a bad batch of salt. After a couple of good rains it should be gone. Reason why I always use rock salt but then again I hardly salt concrete driveways. Salt is never good for anything. Over time salt will speed the hydration up in concrete even after its been set for 5 years, which over time will crack. MANY dams across the world have waterline going through the concrete to help keep it cool to slow the hydration. I've read articles on the Hoover dam stating that they don't expect the concrete to be cured 100% for another 75 years.

11. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Hey, thanks for the info, I learned something to.