1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt issues in MD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rcpd34, Feb 4, 2004.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

We recently had a decent snow fall (2 events) and an anticipated ice storm( 2 events). All in the same week. The state overreacted and did the following:

- Issued an open PO on ALL bulk salt currently in the Port of Baltimore. This port serves the entire region. What this means is that NO ONE, except the state, can purchase the bulk salt stores on hand. They allowed other municipalities, local governments and airport authorities to buy however.

- They seized all bagged salt on hand. Yes it's true. A large landscaper I know had 5 Tractor trailer loads (18 pallets per truck) of MAG ordered and at the supplier when the state came in and seized it.

Now anyone who has ANY salt on hand it getting crazy money for it. All of my contacts dried up. My largest supplier had a fair amount on hand and he is now mixing it with Potassium Chloride to make it go further. This of course, raises the price significantly. I was paying about $146/ton. Now I must pay $222/ton. I have no avenue to recoup these added costs as I am locked into a rate by contract. (THAT's gonna change next year!) A barge is expected on Sunday, so this should provide some relief.

Anyone experience anything similar? Anyone know of any salt reserves in my area?

Thanks!

2. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Im in the same boat as you. Were you paying those prices for bulk per ton? Because that is WAY to high. I have a couple of pallets but would love to get a nice pile of bulk back into my yard.
    I really prefer to pull levers on the skidsteer vs. hulking 50lb bags around. Let me know what you find.
    Thanks Brian

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Not sure if this will help but how about a trip into De/NJ ? It may be worth it?

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

The state of Maryland has done this before, about 8 yeas ago I learned my lesson, I use bulk and am now on my back up supply of bulk ( I keep 6 tons on hand) But I also have 4 palletts of bagged as an emerengcy .

Other possible sources , Bowens farm supply in annapolis, Lesco ,
    Harting and son in linthicum area, and somewhre off pennington avenur there is a plant that bags salt. Home depot is always a possibility. Last time they did this people were fertilizer, this is not too friendly to the chesapeak bay but they were doing it.

If you have a v box there is always concrete sand , its instant traction, the problem is that it freezes quickly, I trick I learned is to dump RV potable antifreeze in the sand about 12 gallons to a full box it buys you about 2 hours of spreading time.

5. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Bagged

That price was for product salt per pallet. I don't have the facilties to handle bulk.

6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Where are you paying $146.00 a ton at? I am used to paying $4.50 a bag for a 50# bag. The pallets come with 50 bags. So what are we to do now???

7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Salt mix

I get it from Eddie Merecer Ag in Frederick MD.

8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Are you talking about one of the co-ops, like suothern states, or farmers? I couldn't find anything on Eddie Merecer in the yellow pages.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

try lesco or bowens farm supply on riva rd in annapolis

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Look here:

Look here:

http://www.eddiemerceragri-services.com/pages/1/