1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt issue

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bristolturf, Oct 18, 2009.

1. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I am considering buying bulk salt vs bagged simply to save on price..........I dont have a big spreader or anything, but i would rather buy 3 tons of salt for the same price i could buy 1 of bagged. I have a dump truck that i could pick it up with. I dont want to find a spreader for it since its not mine actually, its a buddy that keeps it with me. Anyways, how would you recommend bringing salt around with me in my truck so I dont have to go back to the shop every 5 minutes to fill up. I am using a western 1000 spreader.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

lotsa 5 gallon buckets...
  3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i wouldn't use bulk salt in the tailgate spreaders, we use both, and one truck is just for bulk, a couple years ago we ran out of bags, and filled the salters with bulk, didn't work, had to empty them out, to big of chunks, and froze up, don't know if anyone else use's bulk in tailgate salters, but i only did it the one time, and won't do it again.
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

it shouldn't freeze up on ya....just empty it out at every job...
  5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

could buy sandbags and pre-bag your material for alot less than store shelf cost,,,if you can get an account at lowes or HD they are sometimes willing to give unbelievable discounts on the bagged stuff(as well as all kinds of other stuff) inorder to move in bulk quantities through the "pro desk". At least they did when i was a manager there.
  6. bristolturf

i intend to and if i can make enough money hopefully i will i am going to get a vbox asap. but i mean i just have trouble spending $325 for 1 ton of bagged when i can get 3 tons for that basically......
  7. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Bulk in a tailgate spreader is bad news. The stuff freezes up and needs a vibrator to work correctly. I would just put it right in the bed and cover it up. I have tried in the past to rig stuff up but just dumping into the bed and scooping with a shovel seems to work just fine.
  8. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

I have had problems with bulk salt in a tailgate spreader before. It is a pain in the butt. Keep calling around for prices. I actually used to go in on semi loads of bagged salt with other people to cut the cost down.
  9. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I have been running bulk salt thru my snowex 575 for 4yrs now. Only time Ive had a problem is when it was wet. I bag it in fibergass grass seed bags, stack it on a skid and just load the skid in the truck and go. It takes 2 guys about an hour and a half to bag a ton. Ill post some pics later or just do a search of my post and you can see pics. Good Luck!

10. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

the reason it worked for him is he bagged it right away, then its the same as what you get when buying a pallett, i had problems with filling the salter from the pile, and it does get damp, we keep it in a barn, not to watertight, and is not heated
  11. bristolturf

salt will be stored indoors so thats not a concern of mine. Salter will also have a vibrator on it so clumping up shouldnt be a terribly big issue.
  12. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

what tailgate salters have a vibrator on them?
  13. bristolturf

custom built sorry for the misunderstanding
  14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

snowex has a tailgate spreader with vib.

SnowEx has a tailgate spreader that has a vibrator. Model 1875 has a vibrator and an auger feed system. I use three of them and they work.

Yes bagged salt does cost more, but by the time you get bulk, unload it at your shop, reload it at your shop into bags or whatever and reload into your spreader, it seems to me you would be better off and more profitable just using bagged material and charging a little more per pound.

Good luck!
  15. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I used to have a snowex 1075 that I put a Karrier vibrator on and I ran bulk thru it. It worked like a champ.
  16. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

hey bristolturf where in WI are you?
  17. bristolturf

I am located about 5-10 miles west of kenosha, near the state line in Bristol
  18. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I weighed that for awhile and thus far kept with the bought bagged.....

BUT I still have 30,000 lbs of halite from last year that are in perfect condition and dry that will carry over for this year. If it was bulk that would be tough to do :) I'm in for around 7 or 8 cents a pound average I think so thats not too bad.