1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt inconsistency?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gman2310, Feb 6, 2015.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

Received a second load of salt last week and it appears to have rather large chunks in it. I have been doing this for approx 10 years and haven't seen a load like this. Couple chunks were the size of baseballs. I'm afraid to spread to close to cars for fear they might get dented. Does this seem like a problem or am I just crazy.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

there is a 3 page thread on bad salt started from ct
  3. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

wow, never seen that either . Thought you were talking about little salt pebbles froze together making big chunks. Looks like it has a color to it ? Must be all of this salt that is coming from outside the us. Quality control probably is not that strict compared to the us mines. they probably were getting bombarded from all the orders from the us compared to what they usually get , sending quality control out the window.
  4. Mike_C

Mike_C Senior Member
    from Jersey

I've had bad loads of salt before, but never that bad. Fling one of those out of a v box and it could do some damage
  5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

That's no problem compared to my salt!!!! I will post pictures of my salt bin in the am. All I will say is flap down
  6. jerzeyguy

jerzeyguy Junior Member
    from 07080

That appears to be the Venezuelan salt. It has a high moisture content and no anti-caking agent that's what happens when I gets wet best salt you can get the Chilean salt!!
    That's the only Salt they use on the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.
    Probably got that salt that are Bristol PA I'm guessing.