1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt included in contract

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by apalermo, Oct 2, 2005.

1. apalermo

apalermo Member

is there a rule of thumb when a client wants salt included in the price.please help.what are some options.thanks.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes. Don't do it.

Seriously. Too hard to determine. If you include salt, they will want it to included unlimited salting. Then they will expect you to salt everytime a flake falls. By including salting, you will increase your liability.

I've had one account I bid on which insisted on unlimited salt. I said "ok" and bid like three times what I would realistically put down. Needless, to say I didn't get the contract.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Enough said. :nod:
  4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I put in my contract "If salting is required, client is to call contractor prior to plowing area and is to be billed at the rate of $XXX per ton"

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

premier is right i say it this way. "salting will be done upon request of customer." your safer doing it this way. :waving:
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, never a good idea..
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the flip side

For commercial accounts I have a different point of view.

I've had problems in the past with having the salting decision up to a person that may not even be on-site, or they call after they get there, long after I've plowed, and call for the salt.

I have it set up that salting of the walks, handicaps, and main drives will be automatically done with each plow. This is included in the price, then depending on the weather conditions the amount of salt used is in addition and can vary. But because I've done the lot before, I have estimated the amount and the additional salt price is fairly consistant/known.

I actually feel safer about the liability issue, because I know when I leave the important parts of the property are now blacktop and concrete. Incidently, I do have a hold harmless clause in my contract, but we all know that anyone who wants to will sue any and all they can.