1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt in my cab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rick Danger, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Rick Danger

Rick Danger Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm kind of alarmed by the fact that every time I finish a job and get back into my truck, my boots have a slush/salt mix all over them that is getting all over the inside of my truck. Salt on the outside and underneath the truck while not great, can be washed off. What the hell do you do about all that salt on the floor of your cab? Hose it out? Any ideas?
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

It depends if you have carpet, rubber floor mats over the carpet, or the whole truck has a rubber matt. I have tried vacuuming the sand and salt out but i fugured i just need to get a bigger floor mat. In the spring i will steam clean my carpets. If you have a rubber floor, just wash it out.:D
  3. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I have trouble with employee's throwing there wet salty gloves all over the place.

They through them on the dash to dry them out and salt gets everywhere or they leave them on while driving.

Next time they do this I'm going to make them lick the dash clean:D
  4. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I use the Husky matts. They have high borders and catch everything and nothing drips down on carpeting. And are made specific to each truck. They are great !
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

just have to wipe the truck clean. or vacum it
  6. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

Well worth the money.I have them for all my personal cars also.

I use an old set of huskeys from my last truck for under my rear seat thats where I throw my gloves( a rear heat duct blows right on them) You can hose them right off when dirty and they contain all the slush
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm a vacuuming nut, my neighbors must think I'm crazy, vacuuming my truck with 8" snow on the ground. I'm a firm believer, "take care of your equipment and it will take care of you" :) :)
  8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Put a bath towel under the rubber mat recommended above. Then just throw the towel(s) in the wash after the storm. At the end of the season either shampoo the carpet yourself, or hire a detailer to do it. We carry some extra towels to deal with gloves, boots, hands, or anything else that might track gunk into the truck.

We usually pressure wash the door jams, frame, plow, spreader, bumpers, and anyplace else the stuff likes to land with hot soapy water followed by a salt neutralizer.
  9. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

What I do is take out the rubber mat and leave it out till spring.
    just use the power wash out in your cab!
    I just use floor mats easy take out to wash too.l
  10. Rick Danger

from NJ

Well the thing is, I've got the rubber floor covering and I lifted it up when I was working on the truck, and it was wet under there. I hadn't even been plowing in awhile, so that means that the moisture had beed just lying there9with the salt). I guess I could just lift up the mat in the spring, hose it out and let it dry.
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have the Husky floor mats also but mine are never wet underneath. Also, I vacuum my truck out atleast once a week regardless if it's dirty or not.:D
  12. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I had a puddle in my Huskymats since Thursday and I looked under them and they it was DRY! They should keep it all in them.
  13. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Check the heater core to be sure it isn't leaking. Also check to be sure nothing is coming in any of the holes in the firewall used for plow controls, lights, etc.

Wipe out the wet, then clean it with a damp cloth. Be sure to spray Clorox or something similar (but not on anything that has been dyed) in there to kill the mildew. Allow everything to dry or you will have a biology experiment going.
  14. Rick Danger

from NJ

Thanks alot. I'll try that.
  15. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

We usually pressure wash the door jams, frame, plow, spreader, bumpers, and anyplace else the stuff likes to land with hot soapy water followed by a salt neutralizer.

Please tell me the brand or more about SALT NEUTRALIZER

i rusted out my oil pan from salt and other parts also have been affected ....i just rinsed my truck at the self service car wash while not "high pressure" it comes out pretty hard...STILL SALT RESIDUE AFTER THAT!...really want to neutralize this salt.

16. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There are a number of brands of chloride neutralizers in the market. There are also some coatings.

Rhomar seems to have the biggest market share. We found them from our pals at Indianapolis Dept. of Public Works who use their products on their Warren V-boxes. Their product Neutro-Wash gets applied 1 part to 8 parts cold water. It can also be applied via pressure washer with a very precise eductor.

Unfortunately the stuff is expensive, about $200 a pail plus shipping from Springfield, IL.

Contact Kim at 800-688-6221 or via e-mail ktucker@rhomar.com

See http://www.rhomar-industries.com/neutrowash.htm

Tell her we referred you and there may be some sort of discount.
  17. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

thank you Peter, boy thats expensive!..what about something simple like vinegar?

Everyone up here laugh's at me and calls me nutio, cause my name is mario and i guess it ryhme's??? and prolly because im out washing my truck in the 10 degree weather!!! Anyways, I had my local paint shop that is also a Line X shop, Line X the under part of my bed and doors ( rocker panel I guess ) Let me tell you it was the BEST thing I ever had done. I hop into the truck and bang my boots on the bottom of the door and knock off all the snow and salt and dont have to worry about denting or scratching the paint or the body! If you have time and some money look into that Line X stuff Its awesome. I had my bed done too and man it really is the best!!!! If you dont have a Line X dealer in your town let me know and i will send you Jeff's number and you can talk to him!!!! Ill get some pics of the line X for you tomorrow!!!! peace!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Rick Danger

from NJ

Hey, that Line X sounds great. How much did it cost?

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I have heavy rubber hallway runners cut to fit. It keeps the rug clean and dry!