1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt in container

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PTSolutions, Nov 2, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

as you know ive been looking for containers mainly for equipment storage during the winter on site, but now i can get a killer deal for pre-ordering my 50 tons of salt ive projected this year, basically my total salt cost would be less than what i apportioned for one of my accounts.

what im planning to do is fill up like half the steel container with 10 tons at a time so i dont have to go down to the docks by the salt mine here to fill up my salt dogg each time. i would bring the loads with our dump truck then stock the container with my rc100.

my question is how do the containers hold up with the salt, i know they say they are water and wind proof, but there is inherent moisture in the salt, and i dont want the container to rust out before the end of the winter.

i want to hear from people who keep their salt in these containers on what they recommend.
  2. zchip1979

zchip1979 Junior Member

I rent a 40' container for the snow season, it costs about $700, It does hold alot of moisture so I wouldnt store equipment in the same container but it does keep the salt dry and keeps others from stealing it...

Hope that helps