1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt harmful for pavement

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lorentzlawnsnow, Dec 3, 2005.

1. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

anyone have a customer throw a fit about salting their pavement because of the harmful effects of salt on the surface? i received a call this morning asking to cut back the salt i was using at an apartment complex by at least half. i wasn't being really heavy with it to begin with. i will do it for him but it is the first i've ever even heard someone mention salt hurting their pavement.
  2. genrock

genrock Member

Never heard of it but if its an apartment complex then his tenants probably complained about there cars getting dirty or there shoes getting salt stains. More then likely these tenants arent paying there rent and they need a reason to tell him why there late. Just a thought. Im sure salt is not the greatest thing in the world for pavement but I have not seen any studies done on harmful effects of salt. One thing you dont want to do is put sand in your hopper that is unless you dont want your spreader to work after the first use.
  3. lorentzlawnsnow

no one is complaining. he told me in his message that everyone thought my service was great. after i posted earlier i did some research on here and found that mick had gone to the asphalt institute and they stated that salt is not harmful to pavement. i went too and it still says this. so the guy is either misinformed or doesn't want to come out and say he's cheap and doesn't like paying for salt. either way i feel better now that i know i haven't done anything to harm his pavement. by the way they're calling for 3-5 here tonight so get some sleep and go out and make some of that easy money!payup

JKOOPERS Senior Member

aspahlt or concrete ?
  5. lorentzlawnsnow

asphalt. i know its hard on concrete
  6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It can be a little rough on asphalt, but not as harsh as it is on concrete.