1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt hard as a rock

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jay brown, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i left my salt truck outside the last few days and the treated salt is froze up like a rock........any tricks to getting it out? will water loosen it up?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A long bar and pick away at it, with the bed running. A hot water pressure washer will work too, but I like the long bar better. PITA either way.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the chain is froze up too. might have busted the gear box when i tried to free it up with a pipe wrench and a cheater bar. what a mess i'll always empty it or pull it inside from now on

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can spray a power washer in the shoot and it will loosen it up. Go to a Coin-op because it makes a mess. It takes alot to screw a gear box, generally you wreck the adjusting bolts first. Good luck. You might be better off just to hand unload some of it to expose part of the chain and then try it and if it doesn't work take more out and so on. I have 3 ton of semi wet salt on right now and I'm a little worried!

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

A few gallons of windsheild washer fluid.:salute:

6. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

What type of spreader is it frozen in a, vee box?

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

:rolleyes: yeah rite, i read the same "helpfull hint" post too, on one v-box i had 3 gal of wahser fluid 3 galon of deisel and 1gallon of gasoline (ran out of deisel) and still didn't work so we just scraped it down to the grate w/ SS and stirred the rest of it,

i would say the fluid would work on a small spreader but when you have 3yd hard as glass:nono: no way.

JAY if it makes you feel better we spent most of the day trying to find a good way to thaw it out too, we had one tailgate one v-box and one replacement tailgate (8Ton) froze up and the best thing i found was stirr it with the bobcat and heat it with a deisel powered blast furnace for about 1 Hr per side, and even at that it wasn't fun

8. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

We know that wont happen again .:sleeping:

9. powerjoke

HAHA yea sleep is over-rated

What'ya doing with that dirt there my freind, oh no please not the buddy list :eek:

10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

small jack hammer!

11. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

you may have to blast.

12. If you can get any liquid de-icer out your way...caliber, magic or such . Just pour that on and it should work. We have non-customers come in who have frozen salt and we spray Magic on it to melt it. You KC guys need to get a Magic Dealer out that way. All I hear about is beet root deicer...lol must grow lots of beets..

13. HTI

HTI Member

Had the same thing happen in my v box. I put a kerosene blow heater in the back and waited. You just have to shovel it out in layers. It worked fine.

14. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

HEATED GARAGE and or any type of heat source IF you want to save the load, your back, hands, and damage to your equipment. You paid for treated product so why just wash it down the drain??

You have to know someone how will let you park the truck in their shop over night. Or maybe a factory you service make some calls and get this thing inside. Last restort would be the hammer, pick and bar for me. It is goo to know people in the bussines. They are more likely to be understanding. I move into a location with 1acre of outside storage and a 3,000 Sq.ft. building (HEATED). Hardly use the building during the green season but, I do not have to tell you how nice it is to pull all 5 trucks inside between events or after coming off the wash racks. Well worth the price I pay for rent all year.

Good Luck

Ron G.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Jay has a shop, the size of a small city block.

16. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

hard as a rock

Use a concrete vibrator, or as the concrete guys call it a bull dick, as it goes down in the salt the salt breaks apart.

17. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

JD,

Sorry nothing mentioned about having a heated shop. Thanks for adding that fact.

Jay,

Are you saying even after parking the truck in the heated shop it it not thawed? If so then frozen salt is not the problem. Maybe something to do with the hardening of the treatment???

Having never used treated product I have only had to deal with frozen untreated salt and after some time in the heated shop it has thawn.

Ron G.

18. powerjoke

i had most of the v-box clean but still about ~900lb so we just telft both trucks in the shop last night and pulled them out today(mid 40's)and Still hard,,......but i bet the core temp of the salt is not much over 15degrees i donno.

we have done it before with the powerwasher witch heats the water about ~300degrees but i was just going to put the salt back in the bin and blend it in for later use so i don't really want that much water in the equation

yesterday i got so mad at it i went to the tool trailer looking for something to heat it with and the only thing i found was the 300amp lincoln welder HMMM!!!! it works for thawing frozen pipes why not spreader's ?

i have about 30 Gal of calcium chloride at the shop i might pump it on top of the 5500 if it don't thaw today?

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Put it inside with some heat overnight, be perfect in the morning.

If you add the calcium, be careful, can't remember the exact conditions, but it can make salt set up like concrete. And heat won't help at that point.

C4 will, but not heat.

20. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Heat wont do a damn thing once that load coagulates . What a joke. And he is associated with some organization that is excellent in separating you from your money by giving you a TITLE . lmao It doesn't take a chemical engineer to figure this one out. Lift that spreader up w/ a machine side ways and start wacking & digging . Chalk it up to experience on the new parts you'll be replacing.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007